Preventing Ear Infections.

My 18 has had over 11 ear infections and its on standby to be tubed this month. Now my 3 month old has his first one. What can I do to if anything to Prevent him from reoccuring ear infections. I keep a hat on him as much as possible!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• do u breastfeed? studies show that infants who are breastfed get less ear infections and also get sick less.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 12:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• no unfortunately my youngest was tongue tied, so we just threw out breast feeding all together. which I regret b/c i should have started pumping when i could have
    aoaks2009

Answer by aoaks2009 at 12:41 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• ear infections are caused by fluid building up in the ear canals/sinus canals and not draining. THen bacteria is able to grow in that fluid. The only way to prevent it is to take measures that help prevent the fluid from building up. laying down while sucking on a bottle cuase problems. Kids should sit enclinded or upright to drink. Follow up after colds to make sure there is not fluid in the ears. Check for allergies. Allergies can block the canals which then can lead to build up. Nursing/breastmilk helps build the immune system and can help reduce the number of ear infections. The angle of the tubes and cause drainage to be slowed, so tubes can be a good option to help with that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Honestly..... breastfeed, no vaccines, and get your children on daily probiotics. Also NO antibiotics unless fear of death.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Wow! Make sure you give the antibiotic exactly on time and for the whole 10 days or as long as they are ordered.

You child may have immune deficiencies. One of the 10 warning signs of having a primary immune deficincy disease (PID) is having 8 ear infections in a year. If someone has two signs they should be evaluated for PIDs.

PID are genetic. My three sons and I have a PID. I didn't know it until I was 32 and my third child was a newborn. They didn't have the tests until then. They didn't even have a name. I am one of the older survivers. People older than me didn't survive because there weren't good enough antibiotics when they were children.

I have to get IV therapy every three weeks with gamma globulin to protect me from infections. The medication costs $3000. To get the IVs at the hospital it costs $20,0000. I get mine at a clinic for less.

Go to google and type in 10 warning signs immune deficiencies
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:00 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I know my aunt's son had a lot of ear infections ended up with tubes in his ears the doctors said it was possibly because of second hand smoke.
    jeepwranglrbabe

Answer by jeepwranglrbabe at 1:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My grandson was just diagnosed with CVID. He is 12 months and hasn't had any infections, probably because his mother is normal and he is breast fed. Human milk contains IgA, white blood cells, lysozymes, and other good things to fight infections. His two warning signs were family history, and failure to grow normally. We also knew he might have it and had been avoiding high risk situations.

If your son has hypogammaglobulinemia, IgG subclass deficiencies, or common variable immune deficiency (CVID) he would probably need the gamma globulin IVs every 3 weeks. You would see fewer infections. You would be instructed to avoid places like day care, family gatherings, crowds, church, movies, shopping when there are people, and places where there may be sick people. He may not be able to go to school.

I hope your son doesn't have a PID. If he does it's great to be diagnosed early.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:10 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• About the only things you can do are make sure your antibiotics are given consistantly when your little one is on them, keep them up right for eating and about 30 mins after, you might even consider propping one end of their bed up, and keep away from smokers. My oldest had fluid on her ears for over 6 months even with meds so she got tubes and it really made a difference. She is now on her second set of tubes and you can tell they work because she is talking so much better.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 2:02 PM on Sep. 28, 2009