• In the Spotlight:

Can someone give me a good definition of "idol" worship?

I am little confused on a question. I kiss my husband; does that mean I worship him? My husband kissed my belly when I was pregnant, does he worship my belly?

I lost a very important piece of jewelery when I found it I kissed it and thank you God. I was thanking God not my necklace. Did my actions have me worship jewelry?

Protocol has people curtsy the queen and kings, does that mean they worship? Some cultures you bow upon greeting, is that idol worship?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, that is my answer. If you have an object (in a religious sect.), and the people bow to it and kiss it, that is different than a kiss from your husband.

Why?  Are we suppose to separate our lives into two parts - a 'religous' and a 'non-religous' part?  I though we're suppose to incorporate our faith into all aspects of our lives.  So if I kiss my husband in church - does it mean I'm worshipping my husband?

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 1:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Any behavior a militant Christian does not like is idol worship.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Idol worship is basically worshipping an idol other than God Himself.

When the Israelites built a golden cow... they worshipped it ... rather than waiting for Moses to return with a message from God , they figured we are bored lets build something to worship.
    That is wrong.
    Anything that is put above God is idol worship.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:33 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• oh one more thing that just crossed my mind after reading a person's response in another post on here.... worshipping yourself is also idol worship... if you put yourself above God... Lucifer did that and look at what happened to him.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:35 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• For me idol worshiping is whenever you put something over God. When God no longer has first place in your life. This could be if football take first place over worship Sunday morning.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I haven't seen any Golden Cows recently, but a few Idols I have seen recently was my son wanting to choose the X-box rather than going to church. That 50th pair of shoes purchased rather than giving at church. Having to be home to see your favorite TV show rather than spending time outdoors communing with God. I find a lot of Gods laws are written for our own health and well being. Wanting what others have keeps you from enjoying what you have. Not coveting your neighbors wife is common scene. Lying, stealing and cheating are even frowned upon by man's law. The Idol law teaches us of priorities and moderation.
    h3art2h0m3

Answer by h3art2h0m3 at 12:44 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• OP

All those things you mentioned are not about religion, or a religious leader. A religious leader should be careful in how and what they do, and what they require others to do and believe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• All those things you mentioned are not about religion, or a religious leader. A religious leader should be careful in how and what they do, and what they require others to do and believe.

is this your answer to what idol worship is?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Anonymous

Yes, that is my answer. If you have an object (in a religious sect.), and the people bow to it and kiss it, that is different than a kiss from your husband.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

----

Do you kiss your Bible? Some Protestants do. I've seen it a lot. The Bible is an object. Do you think the Bible will get you to Heaven? The Bible is an object. The only way to Heaven is through a relationship with God, the Bible is only a tool. If you rely on it too much to get you to Heaven then you are worshipping an idol (object) other than God.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2009