Nudity at home.

Are you naked in front of your kids? Do they shower or bathe with you, or with siblings? Do you allow them to play naked in the kiddie pool or sprinkler, or in the house? Why or why not?
I am noticing, with many parents I know, nudity is taboo.
My stand:
We are liberal about it. The little one never sees us intimate, but we don't hide nudity from her. We sleep naked, so she sees that when she wakes us up in the morning. She still showers and bathes with me or with the baby, but not with her daddy. (she flicked his thingy once, so we took that as a sign... LOL!) Also, when we get dressed to go somewhere, we all tend to get dressed together, cuz we turn music on and dance while we get ready. She knows not to get naked at the store or at friend's houses, but we let her play in the kiddie pool/sprinkler, without clothes.
I think it's good to let them know what is and isn't okay about nudity and to let them be free spirits!

mama_moonsong

Asked by mama_moonsong at 12:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'n italian and I was reading on here about how many parents don't let their daughters in topless, but they were talking about toddlers daughters! I'm still shocked :-) My daughter is 21 months and she take showers with her dad, she's more interested in playing with water that in look at him, we are naked in front of her, but without exhibitionisms.
    shining8250

Answer by shining8250 at 2:19 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I agree. What you are doing is perfectly fine and normal. I have two daughters. They were raised this way too. We still change in front of each other. NO biggy. (Not in front of their dad anymore of course). But I think your way is very healthy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I am in agreement with you, I think that the more open you are with your kids the better ideas they will have about nudity and sex! I hope you don't get bashed! I used to bathe with DS, but stopped when he was about 3, he is now 4 and will shower with his Dad once in awhile, if we are in a hurry or something. I think it is important that children never feel ashamed of their bodies!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:34 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• The age has a lot to do with it. My son is 3 and I do not get naked in front of him. I dont think any child should be naked outside, at all. That wouldn't be teaching something right about nakedness since you aren't really suppose to swim naked as an adult; although some do for fun but not the time of fun a child or teen should be having..if you know what i mean..lol
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 12:35 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My kids are all over 5 now, we don't shower together anymore. We don't get dressed together, but the girls might or the boys might. Not together though.

My kids no I will go in the room when daddy is getting dressed to get something or in the shower to go potty or do my hair, or vice versa.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Out side naked is a no no, to many people are crazy. I have put my little one in a onsie outside but that is as far as it goes. No nudity.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I don't see a problem with it.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 12:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I agree with you. While I don't invite my kids in while I'm dressing/undressing, if they happen to walk in I don't make a big deal about it. I just continue doing what I was doing, naked or not. The human body is a beautiful thing and I don't want my children growing up ashamed of themselves or thinking nudity is somehow dirty. I wish more people were open minded about nudity and sex.
    Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 12:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• i am the same my dd sees me throw a shirt on or sees me when i get out of shower..no biggie and shes also ok with it..no one sees dh hes always coverd. now my lil guy sees me all the time again shower, or changeing...my son also will run threw a sprinkler naked and my dd thinks its funny ( dd is not naked outside its just my lil guy. ) i dont hide what i have and any questions my dd has will be answerd..heck im 31 and my mom will change her shirt while talken to me..im not fazed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• OP here:
    i'm glad to see the positive responses! i'm not looking for affirmation, cuz i know what we're doing is right for our family and lifestyle. i had just been noticing lately that a lot of parents of our little one's friends are sooo negative and uncomfortable about nudity.
    its ok if i get bashed, i know i was asking for it with this post.
    i was just so curious about what other people thought about it! :)
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 12:39 PM on Sep. 28, 2009