How do you get your kids interested in their studies?

I just feel like I want to scream and cry out loud...I try so hard to practice at home with my kids (school work) and just when I feel like they are doing great. They both come home with low grades boy 8, came home with 58%, 62%, 64% and the only one that was great is a 98% these are percentages that he is making in each subject he is a third grader...aarrggg what else can I do to make him want to do better...it is so discourageing for me :(
and my dh she is 6 and is not doing all that great now I have to go meet the teacher for a conference....I am not too happy. I work with her as well (my dd that is)where is all this going...what am I doing wrong?

I am getting so fed up I feel like all my time with this is all for nothing :(
Help and thank you for listening.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• well its good that you have a conferance with the teacher, I would ask them for suggestions. I know some kids who seem to get it at home and freeze up in school have learning disabilities, It could be something simple like fear of tests or Dyslexia. Or something more. But I would speak to the teachers of both kids and pick their brains about it. They are professionals in their field.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Just work with them everyday. Also get them to love to read. Take them to a book store and get them books they pick out and read with them.

I was not a "A" student at all and made sure my kids where. Learning to love to Read is a big part. It was hard work, but worth it . Both my kids always got "A's" thank God.

Read to them all the time.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:53 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I would see if the school would let you sit in for a day to figure out what's going on. I tried everything including summer school before I gave up and started homeschooling. My daughter was behind in public school, she now takes the same tests that she did in public school but now she's advanced in everything. Large class rooms full of noisy kids aren't the best learning enviroment for all kids, and because you care about how your children are doing, homeschooling might be worth looking into for you. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• OMG what I ultimately did was kind of get into my mind set of when I was in their grade and kind of re-learned everything again. When they see u interested they become interested. Don't worry too much about the grades, worry more about the national testing scores. Reading and Math are the most important things they need to know for those. Sometimes the teachers are picky.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 1:16 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Ask the teacher for specific areas the kids need to work on more. Ask if the teachers can give you worksheets to do at home. Don't keep pushing, not all kids are going to be A students. I also suggest reading, atleast 20 minutes a day. Ask them questions about what they are reading. The teachers can give you websites on where to find questions for books the kids are reading. You can also try www.readkiddoread.com Do NOT worry about those standardized tests, the scores mearn nothing. The scores are how the school districts get money from the federal government. Grades are what colleges look at , not standardized test scores. I do NOT believe in those tests at all and know many teachers that don't either. I know kids that are flunking their classes but can ace any standardized test. I also know kids that are straight A students that do horrible on the tests.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2009