How is everyone preparing for the Flu Season?

What do you do to protect your family! Who is getting a Flu shot? Any opinions on this. I cannot decide on the shot for my kids. We constantly wash our hands and disenfect our home with Sol-U-Guard! What can we do to protect our children?
Moriah

MoriahL

Asked by MoriahL at 12:43 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Kids' Health

• As always, we wash our hands and disinfect things we touch on a daily basis. No flu shots here.
    They make everything worse in my family.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:00 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I here that, I am to nervous to get them flu shots. We use Sol-U-Guard disinfectant which was tested and kills H1N1 virus. YAH! What do u use? Please not Lysol:
    Lysol is even more dangerous than we thought. It contains phenols and dioxin (Agent Orange).

Moriah
    MoriahL

Answer by MoriahL at 1:39 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Good handwashing, covering coughs and sneezes and flu shots for both of us. I have been getting a flu shot for well over 15 years and have NEVER had the flu and I have worked with kids and been exposed to the flu at lot. I will do whatever I can to protect my son and all the kids and people that I am around on a daily basis. I think about how my decisions affect others too. I also disinfect with Lysol as needed and wash my dishes with bleach water on occasion.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:49 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Lysol is even more dangerous than we thought. It contains phenols and dioxin (Agent Orange).
    BLEECH CONTAINS SODIUM HYPOCHLORITE is a neurotoxin and can cause kidney and liver damage, severe lung damage and reproduction issues. DANGER! Causes severe eye injuries and can burn the skin, mouth, throat, and stomach. DIOXINS - a 300,000 times more potent carcinogen than DDT. It will bio-accumulate in the body because we cannot detoxify it. VAPORS can interfere with brain function, aggravate heart conditions and asthma.
    You should try natural products, I have been doing research on everyday products and realized how many of them have chemicals. I used Sol-U-Guard which kills H1N1 and contains no chemicals. For more info check out this site:
    www.WorkingGreenMoms.com
    MoriahL

Answer by MoriahL at 8:57 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• i am washing my hands!

also i teach so i am disinfecting my room everynight and when ds and i get home (he goes to prek) we wash our hand immediately, i bought him some cool new soaps so he doesnt mind.
    yes my son will have the flu shot, he has every year since birth, i dont think this is the year to go without one, but he is not going to get the h1n1 because it has not been tested.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:52 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• We use this for cleaning:
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    3/4 cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (optional) (antiseptic and smells nice)

And we are focusing on prevention, starting with handwashing and keeping hands off of faces. You catch a virus by coming in contact with it; this is why hand washing is so important. Did you know that viruses can live on paper money for 9 days?
    You can also adjust your lifestyle a bit to build up your immune system. Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:59 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I had been resisting supplementing with probiotics until I read this:
    With all the hype about the upcoming flu epidemic, and the pros and cons of vaccination, how can we protect our children and ourselves?

According to the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled study reported in the August issue of PEDIATRICS, probiotics may be useful to prevent cold and influenza-like symptoms in children.

Of 326 healthy children three to five years old, 104 were randomly assigned to receive placebo, 110 received _Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM_ and 112 received a combination of _L acidophilus NCFM_ and _Bifidobacterium animalis subsp lactis Bi-07_. The children were treated twice daily for 6 months...

Read the rest of the article here: http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/707328

Answer by rkoloms at 4:00 PM on Sep. 29, 2009