why is my 8 year old always playing with himself down there? ugggh

i don't know how to get him to stop. every time i see him doing it i ask if he needs to use the bathroom (he doesn't need to) and i tell him to stop. but he ALWAYS does it!!!! whats the deallll?????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is he adjusting himself? He'll do it his entire life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Sounds like he is kinda masturbating, totally normal. By this age they are usually better at hiding it, guess he hasn't mastered that part yet. Tell him this is something he can only do in private, in his room, or the bathroom.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:50 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• he's not adjusting himself - he kinda like pulls and pinches and twists it, lol, it can't feeel good! but its like a nervous habit or something..... any suggestions?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• send him to his room when he does it.....its a guy thing
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Guess what? IT'S NORMAL. Just remind him to do that when he's by himself.
    Have his doctor take a look to make sure everything's ok down there as well.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:58 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Try new underwear. My son had tighty whiteys but found boxers are a lot more comfortable. Daily showers can prevent the itching.
    My mom told my brother that if he played with it too much it will fall off.I don't recommend that.
    My son is also 8 with a few itches. I also ask the bathroom question in public so I don't embarrass him, but I also had a sit down talking about how if there is an extreme problem go to the bathroom to adjust but how it is also taken as an extreme insult especially around women. Good luck!
    h3art2h0m3

Answer by h3art2h0m3 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Why it it an ugggh!! It's perfectly natural for any child to do it. My daugther does it and I have no problem with it. You should teach your child that it's perfectly fine to do it and if they want to do it, they do it in the privacy of his room. If you have such negative issues, speak to your child's doctor and they will tell you like all that IT"S NORMAL as nighphoenix put it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• It is normal. It is not yucky, gross, etc. He will be doing it for the rest of his life, better learn to deal with it now. Let him know that what he is doing is ok, but it is something that has to be done in private. His bedroom or bathroom only. Do NOT make a big deal of it, do NOT ask if he was to use the bathroom. Just tell him to go in his room.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:19 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My son is six and newly obsessed with it. I tell him I don't mind him touching, just not in public or in front of mom EVER! LOL

Yours sounds like the undies might be an issue as the PP suggested. Could be to tight or not enough support. Maybe talk with his mom about it. Is there a male figure that can explain the "niceties" of the situation to him?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• My SS does the exact same thing.. He keeps one hand in his hair twirling it and the other grabbing and twisting of himself. I did tell him that he'll "break" it if he keeps doing that, because in reality, he's so rough with it, I'm afraid he'll hurt himself! But he doesn't leave it alone. He does it in the stores and everywhere. I ended up telling him that if I see it happen in public or around company that he'll be in trouble and all games and TV will be taken away, so he's getting better at it, but it still happens from time to time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Sep. 29, 2009