question for all the dog lovers....

lately our two dogs have been finicky eaters. We're considering switching from feeding them twice daily to once daily because we found that they have more of an appetite in the evenings and finish their food, which they never do when we feed them twice. My question is: is it ok to go from twice a day to feeding once a day?

dani809

Asked by dani809 at 1:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Pets

• My dog doesn't eat much. leave food out in case she feels in the mood. She mostly eats at night.

We have always had fat dogs. Leia our current dog seems almost too thin to us. She is a goldadore, a golden retriever lab mix. She looks like a white golden retriever and she weighs 50 pounds, the lower limit for a golden retriever. She is a beautiful dog & the vet says she's perfect.

She had lots of anxieties and at one point her world had shrunk to my bed. She got off to eat, potty, or go for a car ride. She would run in the yard if you were out with her saying "run Leia."

An animal behaviorist was at Petsmart and suggested Nutro easy to digest dry food. She became a new dog. She's not the bravest dog in the world but she can pass for normal. You might try Nutro and see if your dogs like it.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• It is actually better for them to eat twice a day. I have a very picky eater(knocking on wood b/c she has been a good eater lately) but it was so bad a t one point people actually asked me if i fed her. Switching their food often and mixing other things like wet food can make them picky sometimes. If you want this to change the best thing to do is pick up the food after 10 minutes if they don't eat then they can try again at the next meal. No healthy dog will starve themselves and they will learn that when the food is down that they musht eat. If i don't pick up her food then my Vaccuum, I mean lab mix will devour hers as well as his own.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:20 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Maybe they don't like their food?? You might try switching to another brand or formula.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• lol! the vacuum! Our lab used to be like that too.....it was really disturbing when she started refusing her food. We've tried every available brand of food (we live overseas so there's not much to choose from), cooked rice and chicken, mixed chow with wet food.....you name it, we tried it. No dice. I will try the 10 minute method again, I just feel bad about wasting food each time, because it's usually chow mixed with something or the other - and if I refrigerate and heat it up later on, it's soggy and they won't even go near it. Someone told me that feeding them twice a day makes them fat......maybe that's why our lab is overweight? I will also talk to the vet and see what he says. Thanks to you all!!
    dani809

Answer by dani809 at 3:25 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• How old is the lab now? I would try this with just the dry kibble and see in just putting it down for 10 minutes makes a differance. But it may definantly be time for a check up. What are you feeding them at the moment? Actually, it will not make them fat if you are measuring the food out correctly. They will tell you when you have a fat dog to feed them twice a day because it helps them to lose weight.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:22 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Sounds like they dont like thier food. Dogs have taste buds too, and they change as they grow.

switch them gradually to mote nutritious food.

They will be healthier, more active, eat less and doody less.

i recommend natural foods. If you stil want to buy something from the grocery store, Newmans Own is the best choice.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 7:05 PM on Sep. 28, 2009