Why don't you/didn't you breastfeed?

There was a group thread this week wherein moms posted their usual daily schedules. A few times on mine, I had typed "feed DD 6 oz soy formula". Less than an hour after I posted my schedule, I started to get PMs from a hardcore breastfeeder. The first was polite enough, "saw your post....why don't you BF?" I explained that I had stopped producing when DD was 3 weeks old. Her reply? Among other choice phrases, "You should have tried harder. You were lazy and now she is worse for it." I informed her that I had tried so hard to keep BFing that I became sick. If I wasn't feeding, I was pumping and taking in calories. I hardly slept because I would spend hours pumping just to get 2-4 oz for her. I would cry because I felt so bad for giving her formula.

CONTIN....

EternalChild86

Asked by EternalChild86 at 1:17 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• i ff, i didn't want to breast feed SO WHAT
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My sister was in the same boat you are in...Her kids turned out just fine. I was able to bf and loved it. I am just glad that my sis's kids were fed well and loved. Good for you momma.

and the person that harrassed you...I hope you reported them for it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:19 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• OP CONTIN....

I told her I even buy the more expensive natural formula. This time, the woman sent back, "Yeah, I bet all that's true. I hate selfish mothers like you." Can you believe this?!

I know many of you who have had to use formula for one reason or another get bashed too, so here is your chance to defend your choice (not that we should have to). Why don't you breastfeed?"
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 1:20 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My DD was premature, and my milk never came in. After pumping and pumping and pumping and crying at the frickin' pump for weeks, I gave up. And BF nazis need to get a life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I did BF, for 6 weeks, then my milk started to turn into water and my daughter wasn't getting enough milk, then they dried up, if I would had kept just giving her basically water she would had starved so I put her on soy formula. I breast fed around the clock every day 24 hours a day 7 days a week, it was very hard work but I tried. I will try with my 2nd until my milk turns to water again.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 1:20 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I BFed for about 3 months (though I pumped mostly--he never latched on properly) then I got the gallbladder stones and had to have my gallbladder removed. well the surgery went wrong, i ended up bleeding internally, and had to get another surgery and stay in the hospital for a week and a half. during that time I was getting so much pain medications I didnt want to pump that stuff into his milk. Then when I came home, frankly, I was still in a lot pain and didnt feel like having to pump. At the time I was already not producing much so shortly after I just stopped producing at all.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 1:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I breastfed/pumped for 3 weeks, however, I do not need to defend myself why I didn't bf my son. People are so rude, and you shouldn't have wasted your time reading her responses to you. You should have deleted them and quickly forgot she ever wrote you.

I do plan on BF this baby though. But if problems arise again, then formula will be used instead. End of story. :)
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 1:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Just feel sorry for their children. They don't stand a chance with a wack job mom like that.
    jillybean6781

Answer by jillybean6781 at 1:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I breastfeed exclusively for 2 weeks. My daughter was not gaining weight. I was in agony but feeding as often as she's request and for as long as she'd suck. She seem satisified, wasn't cranky or upset after nursing. It hurt soo bad, though, I was afraid to hold her as my chest hrut so bad. At 2 weeks we did supplimental formula after nursing and she'd take 2 + ounces. At 4 weeks, she'd regained her weight and was back to a normal growth and doc recommended going back to just breastmilk but the formula was such a relief for all the pain. I would sit crying with dd crandled in one hand and my breast in the other afraid to latch her becuase I knew the pain would be unbearable. So i decided that it would be best for my daughter ot have a mother who wasn't afraid of her and who would hold and cuddle her than to have breastmilk. So I went to formula then, it was a touch choice, but the biggest relief ever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• cont. I don't care what others think. I did what was best for my family. My daughter is a healthy, happy 2 year old now. no one will ever know if she was formula feed of breastfeed just from looking at her or her grades. So who cares?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Sep. 28, 2009