How do you know if your 2 yr old is ready for daycare?

My son is 2 and I took him for the first time to daycare. I was called at "naptime" to come pick my child up because he was crying and did not want to lay down. I was told he could not be brought back because he just "isn't ready". How do you know when they are "ready".

Aidan2007

Asked by Aidan2007 at 2:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Seriously??? that's Odd to me. that was actually our biggest concern is that he wouldn't lay down at naptime cause he fights with us every nap time - we started him at 16 months and they rocked with him the first couple days and eventually within the week he saw the other kids doing it and now lays on a cot - which is STILL a mystery to us how they get him to do that..??!!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• especially weird that they called on the FIRST day - my son has been there 8 motnhs and crys at drop off everyday - but has fun once i leave.. weird. Take him somewhere else!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I would look for a different daycare! If they aren't willing to work on transitioning him, then they aren't going to do a lot of other important things. I think nearly every child takes a few days or weeks to learn the daycare routine. Though a lot of preschools will expect your child to do certain things before they accept them, I've never heard of a child being sent home from daycare because they weren't ready.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• As soon as you start paying the daycare, your child is ready for day care. Every kid has a different routine and different needs. It's their job to learn that about your child, and they aren't going to do that in a day. Makes me wonder about that daycare. Ours would never do that.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 2:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• they sound bogus. Never bring him back there! I do not trust them. Find another place. He is ready.
    jillybean6781

Answer by jillybean6781 at 2:25 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I would also switch daycares and file a complaint. They should not kick a child out because they cannot fall asleep on their own on the first day there.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:35 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I agree with prev post...find a new daycare. My son is in MDO and he is 22 mos...they pat his back, rock him...whatever they can do to get him to sleep. Doesn't sound like they are about your baby!
    Jakesmom1107

Answer by Jakesmom1107 at 2:40 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Find a new day care. They should be workign with your child. Mine started at 8 weeks. If she was ready, I'm sure a 2 year old can handle it. The problem with this age, is if he's hving this much trouble now, it'll only get worse if you wait longer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• definatly try a diffrent day care thats just not right. My sons been going 2 days a week 4 hours a day and he stll cries everytime I take him and hes been going for over a month ! He hates it so much though and he had never been sick until he started school. hes been there for 5 weeks and has now had two bad colds.
    ryansmommy07

Answer by ryansmommy07 at 4:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• each child is different am sahm but once in awhile i used the drop off daycare. she loves it. they alsways ask me when am i bringing her back and they get sad whn itell her not for a while. she loves daycare butme not so much lol. as for the crying tahst bs, when i drop my dd off at daycare she si the only one not throwing a fit. and she only gets drop off once every few wks yet the other kids get drop off on daily bases is so is normal for some kids to react that way. my dd doesnt nap with the others soemtimes so tehy just let her play quietly. i think is time for a new daycare
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:58 PM on Sep. 28, 2009