Halloween... are your kids celebrating it or not?

I gre up celebrating it, and my husband did not. So he does not want our son celebrating it... he thinks it is evil and bad. I think it is a fun day fro kids to dress up and get free candy..I don't like all the scaryness that is involved with it these days.... I guess if I have to compromise with my husband and give up a holiday then I would pick halloween... just curious how many others arent letting ur kids celebrate it....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• We do it up big every year. The kids dress up, trick or treat and we have tons or trick or treaters at our door. We decorate with spooky stuff in our yard and porch and have a good time with it. I've never Not celebrated Halloween. We love it around here.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:21 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• i plan on dressin up my house and passing out candy.but not trick or treatin. my DD is just now getting over he fear of mask. but i dont really see the harm in it. as long as you teach your kids early on. i hope one day to take them trick or treating.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 2:22 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Yep we celebrate it. And we are Pagan so it is an important holiday for us. The boys will dress up and go trick or treating. We will talk about the dead and our ancestors, how they did things differently and how they contribute to our everyday lives. I'll be talking about my mom a lot this halloween as she recently passed away.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I love Halloween. I think it is what you make it out to be. If you want it to be all "evil and pervasive" that's what it will be all about. If you want it to be another excuse to create "family happy memories and traditions" then that is what it will be.

I know children do like Halloween regardless of its origins or history, it is what you want it to be. A fun day to enjoy the smiles on children faces and to do something for them. How many years do you think you have with your children? Wouldn't you want to take every opportunity to create traditions and long lasting memories? Just playing the devil's advocate here Booo booo
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 2:31 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I assume your husband is a religious man who believes that Satan is involved in Halloween. Have him look it up...Halloween (or All Saints' Day) is a Christian holiday to celebrate the dead. All Hallow's Eve? Come on...there is no harm in letting children dress up like their favorite superhero or princess and play with the other neighborhood kids. Only closed-minded people believe that. Seriously, it IS a CHRISTIAN holiday, NOT a SATANIC celebration! Please educate your husband...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Of course we are. My kids aren't so weak minded that trick or treating will corrupt them for life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Too many weirdos out there now. Ours doesn't get to dress up, but the church has a function with rides and candy they give out from local vendors (so we know the candy is safe.) He gets the same amount of candy in a fraction of the time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• anon 52
    I hate to burst your bubble but Halloween's origins are certainly NOT Christian. They are most totally PAGAN. It is a celebration of the dead. The day when the veil between this world and the next is at it's thinnest. Look up the HISTORY of Halloween and I think you will find that the Christians of the time were trying to FORCE people into a religion the majority of the community did not agree with, so instead of slaughtering everyone they decided to turn the Pagan holiday's into Christian ones.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My kids celebrate every year, we dress up and go trick or treating. Not quite sure what they are going to be yet but we will be out there! My sis even got her 2 day old son in on it last year, we put him in a pumpkin costume, he looked so adorable!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I think it is only a satanic holiday if you make it that way, like actually worshipping satan! I believe by having fun on Halloween with my kids, nothing wrong could come of that but that is JMO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Sep. 28, 2009