Advice for a soldier, please! (preferably from military moms!)

Here's a little background: My enlistment ends September of next year, so I'm almost done with the military.

I just got a call from my unit, asking if i wanted to volunteer to be deployed with another unit. They are leaving for Iraq soon (about a month) and will be gone for a year.

It's my dream job and something I've always wanted to do, we will make a lot of money while I'm over there, but I am completely torn. I am a SAHM and love my daughter more than anything...but she also just turned 2 in May and will probably no even remember that I was gone when she's older. What would you do in my situation? Oh and I've never been deployed before. ANY advice is very much welcome!

weezer_cookie

Asked by weezer_cookie at 2:42 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• are you a single mom
    mom2kaydence09

Answer by mom2kaydence09 at 2:43 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• this is something you need to talk with your family about. someone is going to need to take her for that year your gone.and have a plan in case god forbid something happends to you. deployment isnt easy.but you get alot of extra money.and you are making a difference. i know you dont have long to think about it. but im sure whatever you decide will be a good thing.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 2:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I'm married. We already know what daycare she would go to, but I still don't know! If I was single and didn't have a kid it would be an easy answer.
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 2:55 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Do you have a care plan in place? Someone you can trust with your girl for a year? If so, I say go for it. (My husband has done a year in Iraq, and is just starting a year in Afghanistan.) Make sure you have a money plan, where all your money is going to go, whether or not you're going to make extra payments on stuff like the car or loans or if you're going to wait until you get home. Do you have someone you trust to take care of payments/money for you? You won't always be able to get to the internet to make payments (if you pay that way), and mail is slow, simply because of the distance it has to travel.
    If this is your dream job, I'd say go. It's experience you'll be able to use on your resume in the future, and the experience personally is a good thing. You'll be able to give your daughter a more stable life, and job security is shaky right now, outside the military. If you have more questions, PM me!!
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 2:57 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Well I guess my husband could take care of her - like I said ,we have daycare. And the $ isn't an issue either, he could take care of that as well, we have a joint checking account.

Maybe I'm being entirely too emotional about it but... damn it's hard.
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 3:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Your daughter will need you so much more when she is 12-18 than she does now. The money that you earn will help both of you so much in the long run. As long as you have good care for her while you are gone, then you should go!

You can make video records of yourself reading books and singing her favorite songs. She won't forget you, and when she is a bit older she will be very proud of you!!

Thank you for your service to our country!!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:36 AM on Sep. 29, 2009