My 5 year old's teacher called...

said he has been, as she puts it, "super silly" today. Said he has been swearing all day, words that we have never said in my house before (I think he's getting them from one of the older kids he rides the bus with)...even after she pulled him aside and told him not to use words like that and had him eat lunch by himself, he keeps doing it.

He gets home in about an hour. What is a good consequence for that? I need to do something that will make it absolutely clear to him that we will not tolerate that type of behavior. When he misbehaves at home we usually do time-outs and here they are effective, but I think I need something more for this...suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• He does understand why he can't say them, he's very intelligent and has said things before that are "adult" words and he knows better than to say them. So when his teacher pulled him aside and explained to him why he shouldn't say those things and told him to stop he knew very well why he shouldn't say them and he deliberately said them again. The biggest issue was/is his not listening to the teacher but I can't ignore the language either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• The old standby always works well. You know take away one of his favorite things for a while, a week, two weeks or more. TV, Favorite toys, Game systems. Hopefully this works.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 2:56 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• ol Lord, nobobdy bash me, my 4 year old learned some juicy words from an older boy down the block, and he was warned several times not to say them anymore. Last week DH had his fill and said one more time you are going to get your mouth washed out with soap! Well DS said the word again and my hubby put soap on his tounge, just a little, well it has CURED the problem. Now you didn't hear this so you may have to take TV away, but if he has learned the words, it will only be a matter of time before he says them in front of you, I would warn once and then the dish soap. My DS says it tasted so yucky he will never swear again--so far so good.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:58 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I'm all in for the soap in the mouth. It worked for all of us and none of us were damaged from it. We did have someone say to use Vinegar on the tounge. Its not harmful but tastes horrible. Its an immediate thing and it pertains to the mouth.

My 2 yearold is into the bad words. When she says one, i tell her that is a naughty word and please use ______ instead. Giving her a correction still lets her express that feeling but in another way, but if she says it constantly in a short period of time i have dragged out the soap and she hated and remembered to watch what she said. Its all in what you feel is "good Parenting"
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 3:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• when my son says bad words, we wash out his dirty mouth with soap, if you against soap because it is not good to eat, try vinegar, same effect, a little more natural, to me though, soap is more logical ....
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:28 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• He's 5. The punishment should be for disobeying the teacher, not for saying the words. He doesn't understand why he can't say them, but he knows better than to not listen to the teacher. I would give him a time-out as usual. Make him apologize to the teacher and make an aplogy to the class for what he said. Then if he does it again make the punishment more severe.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 3:44 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• It is hard to explain to a child why some words are "bad" or "dirty" (I do not understand why it was decided that some words are myself). The best you can do now is tell him that the word he said is used to hurt people's feelings, and that he should not say it anymore. Then, sit down with him and help him write an apology to his teacher. Inform him that, if he is heard saying the word again, then he will receive "blank" punishment (mouth washing, suspended from favorite toy, straight to bed after dinner, etc.).
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My Mother put bar soap in our mouths (ivory) and Im alive today. Back then it REALLY worked for teaching us NOT to use bad words.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• First off, we call them "adult" words, because "bad" implies something else. Secondly, last I checked, (as stupid as this sounds) putting soap in a child's mouth is considered poisoning them, according to CPS. However, a drop or 2 of hot sauce is food and not "poison". My son picked up some choice words from a "friend" of his (both were 6). After the first round of hot sauce I thought he had stopped. I was wrong. A week later he got 2 more drops. It has been several months and no more adult words have been said. Good luck. I also agree that there should be a punishment for not listening to the teacher.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Yeah soap is poisin but something that burns their tongue is okay? How about not putting harmful or painful things in a child's mouth.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 5:05 PM on Sep. 28, 2009