Why refuse to learn?

Lately I have come across some questions on homosexuality and have read a few responses to the effect that they don't want their kids to learn about it and they themselves are not interested to educate themselves in the subject. This comes from religious ladies who do not accept the lifestyle and can totally understand them not accepting, but why limit yourself to any knowledge.
Does the Bible teach you not to seek information of something unknown to you? Aren't you at least curious why others defend this particular section of society?

Why would you want your kids to be oblivious of something they will for sure encounter at one time or another in this world?

Asked by older at 3:02 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Need to know, learn to grow. Knowledge is power. Lots of people who have NO understanding what so ever about any given subject hate it and have NO actual knowledge on the subject they claim to hate. Makes NO sense to me. At least be informed as to why you hate something. dont wallow in ignorance.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:14 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I don't see any point in my children learning about a sin. The most they need to know is that there are people that are in same sex relationships and God doesn't like this. However, I will let them know we are no better than them. We are all sinners and need to stay away from what God disapproves of to the best of our ability because we will be held accountable for all our actions one day.
    I don't agree with it but I don't look down on homosexuals anymore than I look down on sins that I may do.
    GDIMOM

Answer by GDIMOM at 3:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Because it is of a sexual nature. Why not let our little children have their innocence for as long as possible? (And please don't call my answer hateful and have it removed, like you've done before.) I'm just trying to give you a truthful answer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Anon, your answer does not have a personal attack or is breaking cm rules, I don't have answers removed at will they are removed by cm for breaking the rules and this is the reason I report them.
    Do you explain the sexual nature in a "normal" relationship to your children, or do you say this couple or that marriage? There is no need to involve sex in such an explanation, love would do just fine.

Answer by older at 3:14 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Well, I don't have any problems with somebody been homosexual, I respect them the same and I think it is their life and they are entitled to seek happiness. Would I teach my child anything other than that? No. He will grow up and he will fall in love with whomever and we as his parent swill love him and accept him regardless of his choices in life, period. Other than homosexuals are people like you and me who have a preference for partners of the same sex, I don't know what else can I teach my child about the subject because it isn't a big deal to us and really there is nothing there to teach other than promoting tolerance and acceptance for different life styles.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 3:17 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Some things are worth learning some aren't. Besides I can't retain much of memory anymore so it makes no sense to do so.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• older
    Anon, your answer does not have a personal attack or is breaking cm rules, I don't have answers removed at will they are removed by cm for breaking the rules and this is the reason I report them.

Yes, by a certain age I do talk about the physical part of a married couple. Children know some, little by little, where babies come from. And, what you are saying, then a person would have to try to keep it a secret about the true nature of a homosexual relationship.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Bebita, your kids will thrive on such information, they are lucky to have a mom like you!

Answer by older at 3:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I am a Pagan and while we have not outright taught our kids about homosexuality, we have also not tried to shield them from any information. I have had very good friends that are gay, and my kids know this. We are fairly open about sex (our kids are 18, 13, and 11). We don't watch X rated stuff, but we also don't cringe away from depictions in shows that are R rated. I have made it clear to my kids that sex is a very natural part of adult life, and not bad in any way. I am raising them to be honest, caring adults, who don't have sexual hangups. I want them to know that sex is a good part of life and whether you are straight or gay or bi, it doesn't matter.
    NewDay810

Answer by NewDay810 at 3:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Anon 3:23, the true nature of a homosexual relationship is about love, just like any other relationship they express it through sex. You don't have to explain to your kids where babies come from in a relationship unless they specifically ask, and if so, there are many ways around that question without going into details.

Answer by older at 3:29 PM on Sep. 28, 2009