How do you stay or learn to be organized?

I must have never been able to learn this skill, I am always losing things, and forgetting things, I even lost my calander! I never seem to fold clothes right or keep up with things around the house, how do you do it, how did you learn how to do it?

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 3:12 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Home & Garden

• If it's been on the floor for more than a week or hasn't been moved in a week, it gets pitched or donated. Clothes, I turn them all so the hanger is backwards...if it's still backwards in a month, it gets donated since I don't wear it (doesn't apply to seasonal stuff), mail gets sorted as soon as it comes in the house, junk mail in recycle, bills in the bill folder, newspapers by the couch.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:16 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Honestly I've had to just start making myself do it. Flylady.com has a bunch of great ideas, although I don't follow the actual program. When I notice something needs done, I do it right then and there. It takes 2 seconds, rather than waiting til there's a bunch of stuff needing put away and its much more of a chore. I keep my mail organized in a mail sorter, and I have a planner I use to mark down school activities for all of us, my assignment due dates, birthdays, bill due dates, etc etc. Everything is color coded with a highliter. I keep it in a prominent place on my kitchen counter so I look at it regularly.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:34 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• You just have to make yourself clean as you go. Fold as the laundry is done and put things away as you go. It's all a matter of will. Some people have a strong will to make themselves do things they dont really want to, and others just refuse to put forth the effort.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2009