How can I send my son to school without him throwing a fit?

It is my 3 yr olds first year of pre school. This will be his 3rd week, going only mondays and wednesdays for 2 hours. The first week went great, he had no problem going in there and didnt mind us leaving. Now the past two weeks he has been throwing a fit, running to the exit door and not wanting me to leave him. "I dont want to go to school, I wanna go home with you." Luckily his teacher is very understanding and says " just give him a hug and leave" This works fine, but it just breaks my heart having to do that to him. So my question is...What are some ideas for sending him to school with out the fit?

brikay1

Asked by brikay1 at 3:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He is only 3 and too young to go to school. He is letting you know he wants to be with you.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• He is NOT too young to go to preschool. I work in a preschool and we have 12 3 year olds and they do just fine. It takes some kids a little time to get adjusted to school and leaving mom. He will be ok and the teacher is right to have you hug him and leave. More than likely, he is fine within minutes of you leaving. If that wasn't the case, the teacher would be approaching you about it. Just talk to him about all the fun things he did at school that day. We had a 3 yr old cry and not get involved in any activities for 3 weeks and now she is so excited to come to school and be with her friends. She loves going to music class and gym class. She is just a very quiet, shy little girl that has never been with anyone but mom and dad. Your son will be ok. You are doing the right think by putting him in preschool, he needs the socialization.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:02 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• whether he's old enough or not is not really the issue. sometimes it takes kids a little longer to get adjusted when they go part time. esp as little as he goes. most days he's used to staying with you. so its just habit. if he's with you 90% of the time, then that routine changes, it weirds kids out. hugging and leaving is good. i can just about assure you that the teacher is doing a good job, or she'd be calling you to come get him. usually things we'd say when a kid asks for mommy is, after we do this mommy gets you. that way it gives them a goal for the day, and makes you coming back concrete. o yay we ate lunch mommy's coming. things like that. we give hugs when you leave, and when they're more calmed down they get some alone time, to collect themselves (as you're aware theres prob a quiet corner). he'll be ok, just keep encouraging him, he'll make friends and b4 u know, be running off in the morning!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 6:22 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• the mothers day out where i work motto is drop, kiss and go. Don't linger there it makes things worse. I have one lil one in my 2 yr old class that cries for 5 mins when daddy drops him off and 5 mins before daddy comes to get him. Keep it going. The more you do it and hte more you interact with him about what did yoiu do at school etc..etc..the more he will get used to it.
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 10:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2009