2 month old breastfed refuses a bottle, help!

My daughter just turned 2 months old last week. I've been wanting to go back to work in the evenings, just for a few hours (I work with horses) but I can't because she will NOT take a bottle. I've tried giving it to her so has her daddy. I've tried silicone and latex. Even a nipple that's suppose to be similar to the breast. She's only taken a bottle once and drank 3 ounces. I don't want to stop breastfeeding, but she does need to take a bottle for whenever I'm not around obviously. I just have no idea what to do, I don't want her to cry for hours and be hungry. What do I do?

contrariant

Asked by contrariant at 3:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well if you feed her right before you leave and fill her belly up..and you arent gone for many hours than she might just be fine without having to eat.babies will NOT starve themselves..so if she indeed gets hungry she WILL eat
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• sorry that was my answer above..idk why it showed up as anon
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 3:34 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Is she not really hungry when you give her the bottle? I'd keep trying, she's only 2 months old you are the parent and if your'e consistent and don't give into the breast too soon then she will take it.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 3:34 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• just keep trying. and it might be best for your duaghter if you are not in the room and just daddy or baby sitter does the feeding. Make sure it is a good temperature (that can make a big difference!). YOu can also try dipping the nipple in the breastmilk so it smells more like themilk rather than a silocone or latex. Some kids respond well to putting your pinky finger over the nipple and getting them to latch, then moving it out of the way. Maybe becuase it's skin contact. Just some little tips that may or may not hlep. good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Are you around when the bottle is given? You must be COMPLETELY ABSENT.

And you might try a soft spout sippy with the spill proof valve removed. But again, you must be absemnt. She may never take a bottle till the day you go back to work. It often works that way. She WILL NOT starve herself.

Also know she may refuse to eat till you're home. NOT A PROBLEM. That's reverse cycling and it's normal! She won't starve herself. She might make dad miserable but since she's been doing that to you for a year between pregnancy and the newborn stage, why should HE get to miss out on the fun? **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 3:57 PM on Sep. 28, 2009