Does my son need counceling? He's 14 amd an 8th grader.

I was one time having a converstation with him and he had said something that life is boring. And I ask why? Because we don't have special powers...that he sometimes thinks being dead is better, because it is a boring world. My son is fascinated with Science fiction and cops stories. Do you think this is normal?
Recently he started the fall season for baseball and studying drums with his own drum set. Getting him involved with Wednesday meetings in church and Sunday school every week. Do you think he has enough activities now? Or should I add more.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Structure his life and activities and add more till he stops thinking death is better. Show him all that life does have to offer.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:40 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Raising two teen boys and two teen girls I can't count the number of times I heard life I'm bored. It's normal. They are ALWAYS bored. You did the right thing. Getting him involved in outside activites is good. He needs an interest but those of his choosing. Excluding Church as that is the most important factor. But too busy is bad. He is talking about it so that is good. When he says he has no special powers - he does- he as a Christian will have the power of the Holy Spirit and the Lord Christ. That makes him special right there. He is just now finding himself so take it slow. On the other note-always take very seriously when a teen talks about being better off dead. That is a red flag, a call for help. You sound like a really good mom. I abhor anti-depressants in teens therefore I hesitate to tell you to take him to therapy. The next couple years are a roller coaster ride. Hang on. Stay alert.
    treece

Answer by treece at 6:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My son is the same age and says sometimes that he's so bored, too. Don't get him involved in too many activites, he needs some time to learn how to entertain himself, but make sure he's involved and making friends. Ask him what he would like to do and make sure you have some family activities, too. Good luck.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 7:28 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I think what you're dealing with is completely normal. Teen boys can always be a little odd (no offense :)) Getting him involved in activities is a good idea- keep him busy. If anything gets weirder, though, talk to a doctor.
    LeviM

Answer by LeviM at 9:48 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• It is normal...at their age they are ALWAYS bored. I don't care if you give them 15 things to do...they will be bored. Your son will outgrow it.
    sonja911

Answer by sonja911 at 11:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2009