I heard on the radio today that Obama wants to make the school day for kids longer...is this true? What do you think...do you agree or disagree???

I heard on the radio today that Obama wants to extend the school day for kids...is this true? I heard he says b/c the kids in this country are not as smart or learning as much as they should in comparison to kids around the world, therefore, the school days should be longer. What do you think...do you agree or disagree???

Just curious as to what ya'll think about this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in

• i think the schools should keep stupid shit our of there and TEACH the kids not extend the days just because that jackass thinks it's right
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• i dint hear anything but i disagree kids today dont even want to be in school the way it is why longer it
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 3:31 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I heard this mentioned on the news today. Is there anything else we want our teachers to do? What else can we put on their plate? I think he should become a teacher for a day and then we will see.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I think it is a matter of increasing the kid's natural curiosity to learn and foster early learning habits. In Japan for example, kids go to school 7 days a week and devote at least 3 hours of studying at home every day. There is time still to play and be kids but I don't think that increasing the amount of hours at school is the answer, our teachers are underpaid, exhausted and working with underfunded programs as it is. We, as parents can get more involved in our children education, I think that will have a more profound effect in our kids than just increasing school hours.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 3:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Maybe the teacher can dress our kids for us or give us a wake up call or something.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Ridiculous. Lets find way to make kids hate school more! Seriously, the problem is with parents and teachers. Not the kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• i work at a school that tried that already - longer school day, it was horrible, we say the brain can hold what the butt cant handle. we just need to make the lessons more meaningful, teaching more effective, i would be for shortening the day. i did that when i had a classroom to boost results, when they could prove to me that they knew what i was teaching that day, it was over, free time. we had accomplished the goal, we need to teach time management and how to focus, not just stick their lil butts in chairs longer - that does nothing productive!

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Bebita is right about the Japanese but that is because the competition is so fierce it's common to commit suicide if you fail in that country. I volunteer in class with my K and first grader. The teacher is busting her butt to keep these kids engaged. When you consider the ADD and ADHD and special needs kids, it's a rough job. Plus dealing with parents. Bottom line, more funding into public schools so there can be a teacher's aid or two teachers and not extending the day. Make the most OF the day. Gotta love Obama for trying to fix the WORLD at our expense.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:42 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• After 7 hours of learning, kids get tired. How can they retain what is taught when they are that tired? A typical work day for an adult is 8hrs. Why should we ask children to do anything more than that???
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 3:42 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• i disagree with Obama. kids need me-time as much as hard working adults do. it's one thing to ecourage education to be a top priority, but shoving it down their throats isnt the right approach in my opinion. if there were more after school programs offered, not just a longer day of school, i'd be more supportive. perhaps loads of voluntary tutoring classes an hour long or something along those lines. or even more options for summer classes.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:43 PM on Sep. 28, 2009