At what age did you stop reading out loud to your kids?

burning_woman

Asked by burning_woman at 3:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Maybe this should be in the "just for fun" category... hmm...
    burning_woman

Answer by burning_woman at 3:33 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• my oldest is 12 almost 13 and we read out loud to each other all the time. my 2 year old "reads" her favorite books to me. U are never to old to read outloud togther!
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 3:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I'd say about grade 4... so that makes it about 9 years.

Answer by Bmat at 3:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• HAHAHA!! Look, my brother is 14 years older than me and he has been reading to me my entire life. Every year at Christmas, we read "The Red Ranger Came Calling" to our family. Sometimes now, even at the age of 28, I will call my brother when I can't sleep and he will tell me some dorky bedtime story. You are never too old to be read to or to read to someone else! I think it speaks highly of those who continue to read and listen to others read. You know, they have books on audio and adult storytellers for a reason!
    jessflynn

Answer by jessflynn at 3:39 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I have been reading to my daughter since she was in utero. I think that, once she starts learning to read, we will take turns reading to eachother. Technically, I will be reading to her in one form or another until she graduates, because I plan to homeschool her. :)
    As far as reading, say, bedtime stories though....I don't know.
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 3:41 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I don't think you should ever stop reading to kids.
    spamica

Answer by spamica at 3:45 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Once my kids started reading on there own it became rare that they wanted me to do the reading. They then wanted to read the book to me or just enjoy the book by themselves.
    my3turtles

Answer by my3turtles at 3:49 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Never!! If it's not you reading to them, it great for them to read to you!!! My mom and I still read to each other. Chapter by chapter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• At the end of 3rd grade only because they should enjoy reading because they want to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I stopped reading to my children by age 5 when they could read well enough on their own. Once they could read I had them read aloud to me.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 10:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2009