What do I do with a 17 month old not wanting to sleep?

My 17 month old daughter went from being the picture perfect sleeper, to all of a sudden standing up and screaming bloody murder if we even get close to the crib. It is not every single night or nap that she stands and screams, but she is very resistant even on the days where she doesn't scream. We have no problem with letting her CIO, but one nap she screamed for an hour straight (we were trying to test if she would wear herself out), and we finally broke down and got her...she didn't nap that day. There has been 3 nights this week, where she has cried and screamed so hard that she makes herself hyperventilate, which is when we have ended up getting her out of her bed and it takes hours to get her to go back in there. I know that she has one molar coming in, but she has acted like this on nights where I have preemptively given her motrin or teething drops. She has had a bedtime routine for a very long time now too.

KMAsMommy9182

Asked by KMAsMommy9182 at 3:41 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my dd has been going through this too. Its a phase, she does it when teething no matter what I do. We are also getting her on one nap to see if it will help. I wish I could give you some advise but I'm kinda in the same situation:)
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:49 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• maybe she's having nightmares?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:42 PM on Sep. 28, 2009