Do I have to tell the interviewer that I am pregnant?

I recently got laid off from a job and now I am looking for a full-time position. I am almost 16 weeks pregnant and trying to decided if I should mentionthis at an interview. I have an interview tomorrow at a child care center. I have experience working in child care centers and feel I am the right person for the job. If I tell them ...are they going to hold it againist me and not consider hiring me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't tell them unless they asked.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 3:49 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• no you dont have to tell them, they arent even allowed to ask it is against the law to not hire someone for that reason and to even ask that question in an interview
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:51 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Legally they cant not hire you b/c youre pregnant...but ya know itll be there in the back of their minds when it comes down to deciding...If it were me I would mention it and let them know your plans on when and how you plan to work, nothing is worse to an employer then finding out about something after they hire you, it can feel like theyve been betrayed and lied to.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 3:51 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I don't believe you are under any obligation to tell them for a job interview. Wait until they make you a written offer or is your first day of work (if you are not in a temporary to hire basis). Secure the job first then worry about when to tell them.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 3:52 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Well, when I was pregnant with my daughter I applied for a full time position at a day care. They hired me right on the spot. I later on think they did it because they were desperate. I mean I started that day. They wanted me right that second. Then after I was put on bed rest and had my baby and was able to go back they could only fit me in from 3-6 pm on mondays ONLY. It wasn't worth my gas and the headache to figure out how to get there and home.

Either way you are going to have to tell them some time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I would mention it too. But be proactive and state your plan to get back to work right after leave. It's a big issue as they'll need to find coverage for you. I believe it's being responsible.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't say anything, until you start showing then be like I took a test and I'm pregnant after you've been there awhile, or wait till they ask.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 3:55 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Okay you are here to look up for yourself not the employer, if you tell them too early they will most likely keep on searching. I would not tell them because it is not any of their business at this point. Get the job offer in writing then worry about how to brake the news to them. They can't terminate you for been pregnant.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 3:56 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• No I would not say it under any circumstances. Just because it's against the law to not hire you because of it, it is very hard to prove that that is what they did.
    proudmomma1986

Answer by proudmomma1986 at 4:29 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I would mention it. IMO not doing so would be dishonest, as in a few months you are going to need time off, not to mention all the potential things that can happen with pregnancy that can cause your employer problems.

abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 4:44 PM on Sep. 28, 2009