Pagans. ...i need to ask you a question.

Please explain to me why you get offended when Christians want to pray for your soul? I get that you find it condescending and i understand how it can make that Christian look insecure. But when the Christian is sincere, you know it is in good intention. When it is sincere, they just want you to feel happiness as they feel happiness. And to live forever in a happy world after you die.

Like i said, i understand how it sounds condescending and makes the Christian sound insecure ...But if you know that it is in good intention i just dont see how you could be offended.

I am Pagan myself and do not particularly enjoy it when a Christian says she will pray for me. But i am never offended.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I always thought that way to. any positive vibe is good, does it matter where its coming from. When they mean it that is, all to often they say it to make a stink.
    Savymom25

Answer by Savymom25 at 4:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• , they just want you to feel happiness as they feel happiness.

This sends the implication that you are unhappy to begin with. Which isn't necessarily true. Part of being content with whatever path you choose is that you are happy with your decision.
    Praying that we are happy, healthy,etc is not offensive. Praying that we see things the way they do IS offensive. It's like adding anchovies to my pizza when I have a fish allergy and I had asked for pepperoni.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:17 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I don't get offended that they want to or do pray for my soul. However I do get offended by the idea that they feel they need to "save" me. It's not the action that bothers me but the idea that I am different and therefore must be wrong so they are going to pray for me to change my evil ways that offends. Not the action in itself. I am a big advocate of prayer, I even have a prayer group here on CM. But the arrogance behind the "I'm gonna pray to God that he saves your soul from the devil's clutches," yeah, that pisses me right off!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:17 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Well Sabrina pretty much took the words out of my mouth.

I wonder how offended those other side of the coin would be, if I said i am asking Isis to bless you.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 4:21 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I never tell someone that I will pray for their soul. I think it is rude in a way. I say I will pray for them, but I mean that in a friendly way....you know I'll pray that their troubles pass, or they get over a cold, or that they get through a rough time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Please explain to me why you get offended when Christians want to pray for your soul?

They don't say they'll pray for your soul. They say they'll pray for you to "come to your senses" or "see the error of your ways" or any other euphemism you can think of for "give up your religion and convert to mine whether you like it or not"
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:39 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I am not offened when someone says that they will pray for my health, family, friends etc...
    What IS offending is when you are being told that you are lost, or evil, or in need of saving and that they will pray to have me saved...not only is it offending, but it is plain out rude...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:39 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I used to be the one saying "I'll pray for you.".. now I think I would be offended if they meant that they were praying that I would be "saved".

If you want to make me feel good, then just say "Sending good (or healing) thoughts your way."

that is what I used to say to people who I knew were not Christian.

NewDay810

Answer by NewDay810 at 4:41 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• It is offensive when a Christian tells you they will pray for you JUST because you are Pagan(or Atheist) or if they say they will pray for you because they do not agree with you.That is rude and self righteous.

It is not offensive if there is something bad going on in my life, family problems, kids are sick. That is just being a caring person IMO. In this case I don't care what religion the person praying for me is.

RaeLynn1221

Answer by RaeLynn1221 at 4:41 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I do want to add that I am always willing to use all and any prayer anyone (Christian or Not) is willing to offer. Life isn't always easy and the extra little boost of positivity is always a good thing...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:51 PM on Sep. 28, 2009