What about tolerance?

Where in the Bible does it teach intolerance? What class teaches intolerance? With the education and intellect that we are supposed to have in this day and age, why do we discriminate? Black, white, pink or purple - straight, gay or bisexual - catholic, christian, jewish, muslim or pagan - what does it matter?

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 4:14 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Bible says "love thy neighbor" and "judge not lest ye be judged" and neither are followed by unless he/she is of a different race,color creed, sexual orientation ect Jesus preached Love, forgiveness, understanding and charity. He spoke of spirituality not religion
    Bjoycassell

Answer by Bjoycassell at 4:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I wonder this all the time. i know I get into my share of debates on here as well, but I agree.
    Should just agree to disagree.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 4:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• It doesn't matter or it shouldn't matter but to each their own it works both ways if somebody wants to be intolerant, that is his/her right too as well. At the end of the day all you can do is control and regulate yourself, others it is their business how they choose to live in a hateful or in a more tolerant environment that's all.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 4:25 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• i don't think any book teaches intolerance but it does teach between right and wrong , truth and faslehood and people extend it to what ever beliefs, thoughts they have and take it from there based purely on desire.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 4:25 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Frankly, I don't know of any mainstream group that particularly and openly teaches intolerance or hate. Now, I do know of a few that are thankfully not so main stream... I think that the one major driving force behind intolerance and hate is fear. And this is something that people tend to have in buckets. Fear that they are wrong, fear that their way of life is being threatined, fear of change or just plain fear of the fact that they are equil to and not better than everyone else. Fear is something we have with us from a very young age and it takes a great deal of work to master. And really it comes down to the fact that people don't want to work that hard, they would rather use out of date and irrational thinking to justify their hate for others. Many blame religion, but point of fact is that no religion in the world teaches it's followers to hate! Not a ONE!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:28 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I agree with Sabrina!

Answer by older at 4:31 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I think there is an evolutionary component to intolerance, early humans banded together for safety and an outsider was a potential threat. It's part of nature.
    erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 4:47 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Actually, the whole old testament is teaching intolerance. Intolerance of the religion that was ALREADY IN PLACE
    NewDay810

Answer by NewDay810 at 4:48 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Intolerance: "As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all, especially unto them who are of the household of faith." (Galatians 6:10) Bigotry: "Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons: But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him." (Acts 10:34-35) "My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons. For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment; And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool: Are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become evil thinking judges?" (James 2:1-4)

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:16 PM on Sep. 28, 2009