What should I do when my son does this?

My son is 26 months and is very wilfull, smart, and perceptive. Recently he has begun to do what we call "I want it but I don't want it" around bedtimes. When it's time for a nap or for bed, we read a few books, sing a few songs, and then it's lights out and time to get into bed. My son takes a pacifier to bed with him (which we allow for bedtimes only) and won't go to sleep without it. However, now he will throw the binkie and say "no binkie" so that we have to retrieve it. Then, he'll ask for a glass of water, take it, throw it, and then cry when he can't reach it. I think it's a procrastination game that he is trying to play and this week, in particular, it has really come to a head. I'm sick of it and want to know what you would do, if you have experienced this with your own child, and how long do you think it will be before the little booger just lays down and says "night night" without any fuss! :-)

jacobsmom707

Asked by jacobsmom707 at 4:16 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Welcome to the fun stage..I agree with the post about giving him both the pasci and cup. If he really wanted them he would stop throwing them so he couldnt get them. If he throws them, oh well. He will go to sleep. It is okay to let him cry. Sounds like he could be doing it just to get you to have to come back in the room..so he dont have to sleep. Try giving him both say Night, Night baby. and leave it at that. Do not go back in the room. It is a game for wills at this point.
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 5:22 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• haha.. sorry. It just amazes me how smart they are.. We are Thier puppets sometimes. I would give him one chance and when he throws it, lights out. Give him his binkie if he drops it, It will only take 1 night of no sleep and crying to get that you are not going to keep givign it to him.. of course you'll have to do it when you know you won't have to go anywhere the next day too as you won't be sleeping either.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• i'd offer the paci and cup, if he throws it then he don't get it back, let him cry he'll evenutally fall asleep
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• It's a matter of YOUR will against his. Nothing wrong with letting him cry it out to figure out you wont jump just because he crys.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• make it part of routine to grab both a sippy with water and a binky. Put it in a special spot on his bed and once he throws it, its gone for the night.
    This could be a great opportunity to wean him off of the binky. Once he throws it a couple nights and has to go without it, he will be used to not having it.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 5:44 PM on Sep. 28, 2009