Anyone practice NFP (Natural family planning)?

Just wondering if you can recomend a good book or two to read up on NFP. Any good websites? How well does it work? Does it really bring you and your husband closer together?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• After struggling with BC and an IUD we moved to natural fertility awareness. It worked great! Then when we were TTC- we got pregnant our first try. I like that you put this question in the Spirituality category. It was an exercise of respect and love for one another to make this choice. And "avoiding" sex during your fertile times does not mean you lack intimacy or orgasms.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:07 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• what is that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I have heard the book Taking Charge of your Fertility is a really good book.
    I would like to try NFP as BC but i am too afraid that i might end up pregnant if i make a mistake. I'm very fertile. lol
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• outstandinglove~~Me too! That's why I'm rather curious. I've had 3 babies in 5 years but, we've never used pills or anything. Just an occasional condom and pulling out.

NFPing is when you track your cycle to find your fertile days and avoid sex during that time.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I used it in reverse to get pregnant. It was years ago. I loved knowing what was going on with my body because I had irregular periods. You can also tell when you are pregnant. I was using the method before home pregnancy tests.

You can get charts off the internet.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Yes, and that is how I got pregnant with my son... I was watching the calendar every month so that we *wouldn't* get pregnant again, but apparently NFP isn't really a great form of birth control, lol. After he was born DH got a vasectomy, now THAT works =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:40 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Taking Charge of Your Fertility is a great book for NFP ... I highly reccommend it
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:52 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• NFP isn't just watching the calender that is the out of date rhymth method- you monitor and record your fertility signs to determine when your fertile phases begins and ends. You monitor your basil temp, CM, and cervial position. Here is a website with a free downloadable guide- it tells all about NFP- everything from why, how, rules, etc.

http://www.nfpandmore.org/

NFP is a natural way to live- no chemicals or synthetic BC needed.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 4:58 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• How well does this really work for someone who's body is completely out of whack.
    The only way I can regulate my body is on BC.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 5:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• How well does this really work for someone who's body is completely out of whack. The only way I can regulate my body is on BC.

Well my period is whacky and one thing I like about NFP is that I now have an idea of when to expect my period. And by getting to know more about their cycle and their body, a woman might be able to better understand why their body is out of whack and treat the underlying cause rather than just the symptom of irregular periods.

This document provides an overview of some different NFP methods and some gizmos that can help and references to websites with more information.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 6:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2009