What do you do whith a nose picker, that won't stop?

It is gotten to the point where it is no longer a BOOGER! It is a habit.

Any suggestions?

Andriya

Asked by Andriya at 4:28 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm embarrassed to admit that I was a habitual nose picker (and eater . . ick) as a child. I stopped when my peers started making comments. I eventually realized how gross it was and that sealed the deal. So, my advice is to remind you child to not do and tell him/her how gross it is and he/she will eventually stop.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 4:31 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• If he doesn't realize he is doing it and wants to stop putting bandaids on his fingers might help.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Make him where gloves when he's home and to bed. Hopefully that will help him break the habit. He wont like the way the material feels in his nose. Try rubber gloves too, like the tight kind not the cleaning kind.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 4:51 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Hot sauce on the fingers and only once up the nose will teach them NOT to do it.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:02 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Ugh, beats me. I was vacuuming today and saw stuff that needed to be vacuumed up under SS's nightstand today. When it didn't vacuum up I realized he had ground boogers into the carpet. Yay. He had to write "I will not put boogers on the carpet." ten times, and he lost his computer game for the day and had to clean them up. Yuck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• when your child does the picking hand him a tissue to pull it out. My daughter does it and it doesn't bother me much. I just tell her to get a tissue. People all over pick their nose, it's a habit or an itch. If you think it's a habit learn to break it. If, you think something's wrong notify your child's doctor. They will provide you with the best ideas to help you out.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 11:29 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• vbruno: Are you serious? Good way to burn the lining of their nose so they can't breath or smell anything ever again. IMO, you are an idiot.

OP: IGNORE his nose picking. Don't bring any attention to it. He will stop eventually, probably when he keeps getting teased at school. DO NOT put hot sauce on his fingers, that would just be mean and cause other problems.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:25 PM on Sep. 29, 2009