Do you eat tofu?

I was wondering how you prepare it? I bought some one time, opened the package and the smell made me throw-up instantly! I checked the date, and it was still good. Is that a normal smell? I had to open all the windows in the house! My 4 yr old wont eat meat so I was thinking I could sub this in some how into his diet. I'm from the south and I have no idea what to do with it and what's with all the different firmness of it?

forevermom75

Asked by forevermom75 at 4:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I eat tofu, it really has no flavor of it's own, so it will take on the flavor of whatever you mix it with. I also use it in lasagna. I like to mix it the day before with some sauteed garlic, spinach, mushrooms, basil, and let the flavors blend. Sometimes I like to mix it with ricotta cheese, or you can use cottage cheese like daisy521 said.. I also add an egg or two to the mixture.

I sometimes saute it in olive oil with some garlic and seasonings, then top it with pizza toppings and bake it. You can add small chunks to egg drop soup,
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:44 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• noway.. nasty stuff i say..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 4:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I usually buy the firm stuff, only because I like to sautee it ...
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:48 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• You can buy it flavored in many varieties, and yes I eat it. Buy the firm kind and use it in stir fry. It will take on the flavor of whatever you are cooking it in. Like chicken broth or beef broth. In my opinion it is an acquired taste.

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:57 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• You can also add it to stuff, like mixing it into cottage cheese when you make lasange, or sometimes I add some of the soft tofu to eggs before I scramble them.

There are all sorts of places on the web for finding recipes.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 6:43 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Soy isn't good for boys. Soy is used to make bio-identical hormones for HRT in menopausal women. It can really mess up hormone levels. If your baby doesn't like meat, that's fine! You can get protein from beans, cheeses, and grains. Quinoa is a grain high in protein. Cook it just like rice. You can even make "rice" pudding out of it. I make sloppy-joe sandwiches with lentils instead of meat. SO GOOD and kid friendly. Real easy: boil lentils, drain them, stir in a can of sloppy joe sauce. you can add a slice of cheese! Much cheaper than beef too.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Tofu should not smell badly. Take it back to the store. Be sure to buy the kind from the refrigerated case. Also, always buy organic or non-GMO soy.There are many myths about the damaging effects of soy on the body. There is good soy (like tofu and edemame) and bad soy (like protein powders). Most Americans eat more (bad) soy through meat and food additives then the average vegetarian (who eats mostly good soy).This is an awesome, kid friendly recipe for tofu "fish sticks" http://shmooedfood.blogspot.com/2006/01/tofu-fish-sticks.html

Answer by rkoloms at 9:51 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I guess that means i will have to cook the package i bought with some BACON!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:58 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I've read some research about the hormones and boy's eating tofu. Most said it doesnt effect the body that way, and in some very rare cases it might. So I'm going to give it to him. If he has a reaction, I'll just quit serving. Thanks guys!!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 11:43 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I have 3 sons and have served them tofu and soy products for years (they are 17, 20 & 26. None have had any problems. The middle one is allergic to dairy products, and his doctor recommended soy formula when he was a baby, and soymilk later on........
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:15 PM on Sep. 29, 2009