My Husband wants to join the Military.....

So my Husband has wanted to join the military for awhile now. He is finally serious and talking with a Recruiter tonight. I'm a SAHM of 3 and he makes good money but really wants to help out his fellow soldiers and get a better education in the process. I am scarred to death for him to go in but really want to be a supportive Wife. My Husband has supported every decision I have ever made including becoming a SAHM, I feel like I need to be there for him. So my question is how many of you have Husbands that have joined and what's your life like?? What are the pros and cons? Thanks in advance!

mommymine3

Asked by mommymine3 at 4:39 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, what service? They all have their own quirks and is he going in enlisted or officer. He might actually have to many dependents to get in as an enlisted member. I know for me to rejoin the Navy it would be impossible as enlisted because I have four kids and a husband. Also, what Rate/MOS or job will he be doing that can change your experience too. For me a pro was the medical care and the con was how much time I spent from my family.
    lori232

Answer by lori232 at 4:49 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My husband is in the army. He has been in for 12 years now. He loves his job, loves being a soldier, and I love him.

Pros- stable employment in an unstable economy. We get a nice pay check- not a whole lot but we are middle class- I am a SAHM and we are almost debt free- only have a car payment and student loan, we get a housing allowance (1500 per month), health care at no cost, and I have seen every region of the country and have lived in Europe. My children are exposed to the diversity that an army life provides- our neighbors are Latino, German, Jewish, Korean, and Hawaiin and I love them all.

Cons- You would think the deployments are the biggest con, but for me they are not. The biggest con for me is living away from my family. I have a real close-knit family. I travel to see them several times a year and spend the holidays with them every year- but it is not the same as living down the street.

CONTINUED...
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 4:50 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Sorry I should have added he wants to join the Air Force and wants to go into the Medical field.
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 4:52 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Depends on what branch. My husband is in the navy, and has been for the last 6 years. The military life isn't easy but its what you make of it. If you are determined to hate it, you will. If you are determined to find the best in every situation, you will. Right now, its stability, which is something so many people don't have. Yes he's gone a lot but it makes the time you have together so much sweeter.

abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 4:53 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My husband is in the Army and has been for nearly 9 years. And just like Ave.Maria's husband, he loves his job and loves being a soldier. In fact, my husband is a recruiter right now.

Pros- A good steady paycheck. We aren't rich, but he makes enough for me to stay home. Housing Allowance or the ability to live on post, no chance of losing his job (unless he screws up of couse), completely free medical care, if something happens and DH can't work he still gets paid, that we have been able to live in different places and move on the government's dime (or even make money off of moves), that the Army and the people in it take care of us.

Cons - for me it is the deployments. They are really hard. But at the same time I've found how strong I really am. Living away from family can be hard, but they visit us and we visit them, and we talk everyday. That helps.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 5:00 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Technology really helps everyone stay connected. For Christmas last year we bought each mom a digital picture frame, and for mother's day this year we got each mom a portable digital photo viewer. Not only do they have years of pictures on them, but I email pictures to them and they put them on their cards and they can see the newest pictures of their grandchildren.

It also helps when DH is away. We email, IM, Skype, and talk on the phone while he's gone. We email pictures back and forth and skype as much as possible.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 5:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My husband has been in the Air Force for 18 years. He started off as an 18yr old enlisted mechanic and through determination has worked his way up to an officer with 2 masters degrees. Pros: Sense of community whenever we PCS (move) to a new base. Accruing retirement while doing what he loves. Cons: Deployments~ We are currently on another one. He and I are more 'used' to them, as he was TDYing and Deploying for 10 years before we had kids. Kids NEVER get 'used' to it. Simply~It's hard on kids. If they are older and used to having daddy home? Then this may be harder for them to transition.Hours/shifts/travel can be hard on a family. Moving. If you are not used to moving every 18 months-3 years, then this may not be the life for you.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Also with pros, add education..

Some other areas of concern: Job Security: There isn't 100% security, if you don't follow the rules. My husband just had to release some of his guys. The main reason? Overweight. Health Care: I am not a fan of military health care for family.Other are, and kudos to them. We have had, on more than one occasion issues with Pediatrics at 2 AFB's. Currently, I pay out of pocket for my kids and I to have civillian health care.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2009