Same Costume year after year?

My daughter was given the most adorable Unicorn costume when she was 3. It's one of those really plush warm costumes and it was too big for her that year, but she wore it anyway.
She is tiny for her age (she's 6 now) and every year it has fit her and she loves wearing it for Halloween. Well my friend told me it was so tacky and cheap of me to let her wear the same costume 3 years in a row. It is in very good condition, and each year after Halloween I have had it drycleaned, so it's clean. As long as my dd wants to wear it, I don't see the problem.
What do you think? Is it tacky?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Sounds like your friend has been well indoctrinated into the land of consumerism. If your DD loves being a unicorn and wants to wear the same costume, why not? She gets to be happy & you get to save money - what's not to love?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:53 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I say if she likes it let her wear it. The other parents probably think you are cheap b/c it may not fit properly, so take her somewhere they dont know you! lol Or take her to pick out a new one.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 4:43 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• If she still fits, no. That is only one person's opinion, as my husband told me once, if others don't pay our bills, then they have no say in our life.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 4:44 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My oldest son was Bob the Builder for 4yrs in a row. even had to go buy him a new one in a bigger size. If that's what they want to be so be it! not tacky at all!
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 4:45 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Wow ... your friend said it was cheap and tacky, to your face? That's kind of mean ...

I don't think it's cheap or tacky ... does your friend think all the people you visit will remember that she was a unicorn last year? Probably not!
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• hell no.. slap that girl!!!! why cant ppl live well enough alone.. let that girl wear whatever she wants.. we have so many that every year i let them wear the same crap for the whole week till that night then they cant put there new one on.. i say its not tacky and what does it matter..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 4:49 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Tacky and cheap? I think it was tacky for your friend to say that to you! You should have asked her if she would like to buy your daughter a new costume every year! Otherwise, she should keep her mouth shut. There is nothing wrong with wearing the same costume. My family had a bag of masks that we used every year, we would just change up the clothes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• WEAR THE UNICORN! SAVE MONEY! I cannot believe your friend was so rude to you, especially if your DD loves the costume! The same can be said for families that have more than one kid and they have some hand-me-down costumes...no big deal! I am sorry you feel like there is something wrong, I think it is a great idea and perfectly normal!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 5:16 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My brother was a fire truck EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. As soon as he had an opinion, he decided he wanted to be a fire truck. My parents made a costume with him and each year they had fun sprucing it up with new features (lights, siren, etc) and once they made a new, larger one when he outgrew the smaller one. But I don't think it's tacky at all! As long as it's what she wants, let her!
    heydooney

Answer by heydooney at 5:39 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• When I was a kid I was an angel A LOT. Don't know how many times but more than once. I don't htink it's tacky at all.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 5:50 PM on Sep. 28, 2009