School days and hours possibly being raised. Obama would curtail summer vacation.

I think it would be great for kids, i think lots need the extra schooling. But, my daughter would hate that, but i would LOVE to not have to pay out the wazoo in summer camp costs ...

What do you think, more school time or not?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090927/ap_on_re_us/us_more_school

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 4:41 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• All of you who are convinced that teachers are wasting instructional time indoctrinating students on liberal ideology, I challenge you to spend one week volunteering in a local public school classroom. If you did, you would see you couldn't be more wrong. Blaming teachers who are expected to teach basic curriculum, enrich programs for students who are struggling and excelling, negotiate with absent parents, police classrooms for gang activity, drug use, physical and emotional abuse, and meet every last expectation of NCLB have absolutely no DAMN clue as to what teachers do. Get off your asses and high horses and get yourself into a classroom--witness what teachers do first hand. If you are not willing to do so, turn off your television and STFU! You are the ones sorely in need of an education and bitches, you have been schooled!
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 12:22 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:42 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I think that what kids need is more appropriate funding for current programs so that teachers can effectively implement them. Teachers need more parent involvement so they both can work as a cohesive team that will benefit the child. Our teachers are underpaid, under appreciated and in desperate needs of more funds to effectively implement current programs. More time at schools without the proper financial support is a recipe for disaster in my opinion it will only burn teachers even more.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 4:47 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Considering how FEW parents here in SC pay for daycare and just let their little monsters outside all day to do whatever I think year round school is a very good idea. America is SERIOUSLY lacking in education when compaired to other developed nations.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:49 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Imo it will do little to nothing other then provide a daycare for children whos parents work and would rather not pay a sitter or those who just do not want to bothered with their kids for longer.
    I think the problems in our schools has way more to do with things such as oh idk the NEA! All of this special interest bs.I mean gwb threw money at the problem too and where did it get us? Our schools are getting worse and worse..time for the NEA to go! Yes it would still take money to REALLY have a chance at fixing the problems but its better then throwing more money at it to just run a flipping daycare!
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:53 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I think it is your job to take care of, and educate your own kids. If you cannot help them yourself, cannot afford private tutoring or cannot afford a caretaker, daycare or summer camp, etc then you should not be having kids. And exactly what makes you think YOU won't be paying for any of this? Ever hear of a tax increase? Apparently not. Perhaps you are one of the many that do not pay taxes and look forward to your EIC every year? Do you think it's going to cost nothing to increase teacher's work hours from approximately 60 hours/week to 80 or more? Think about it sheeple!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Summer vacation here is now nine weeks, and it's still too long. My son is bored by week two! No objection to a longer school year here.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:00 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Ok so a longer school yr and longer school days..our taxes higher and higher ..yada yada and the kids end up doing no better then before they are just there longer learning the same way and the same stuff ...seems like a huge waste to me to
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• How far does this bozo have to go before parents wise up and GET THEIR KIDS OUT OF PUBLIC SCHOOLS????  I'd be taking my kids out of school for the Summer no matter what BO says.  He does NOT call the shots and make decisions for MY kids. 

MemawBrie

Answer by MemawBrie at 5:05 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• God forbid our kids spend more time in school..You probably boycotted the "indoctrination speech" too person above me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2009