Pagans... I have a question about death...

I am pagan. I believe in reincarnation and that when we die out spirit decends to the underworld to reside until it's time for a new life as a mortal.

I have heard many of you say similar things. But here is my question. And I know that many of you hold a great belief in Karma (as do I). But what do you believe happens when someone dies with a great Karmac Debt? Let's say Albert Fish or Ed Gein... What happens when they die? Is that Bad Karma Debt paid in their next life or in the underworld?

My beliefs tend to be very close to those of the Anciet Greeks or Romans, and I do believe that the debts are paid while in the underworld...

What is your take?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe a combo of what my son told me and in what I've read. According to my son (who is gifted in this way), you go to a place where you basically have an "exit interview"... and what you've done wrong is explained to you in great detail. It is a gray place, and not a lot of fun (he described it as sort of like being called to the Principal's office, only worse). He said there is no joy there. After you spend some time there, learning, and thinking about what you did wrong, you get to move on to the "happy place"... Summerland (or Heaven)... and then you eventually reincarnate, but I believe that Karma comes into play there. you will have to learn life lessons based on what you did in the past life. (and others that you choose to learn as well... like I chose patience this time as well as forgiveness)
    NewDay810

Answer by NewDay810 at 4:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I am a lot like you....in terms of what I think, although I al pretty eccectic in what I follow, but I do think that yes some is paid in the underworld, however, I think that you will be reincarnated in such a way that you are somehow forced to rethink, and relearn lessons you obviously missed in the previous time on earth.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 4:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I think your karma ispaid life after lifetime untill it's paid off. This from someone who isnt sure if reincarnation is true or not but still a Christian. Just my opinion.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:47 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I believe you reap what you sew, if you have a lot of Karam Debt then the experiences you have in the after life will be based on those debts, if you did something really bad then you will probably face something really bad. I'm not pagan but I have my own theories and beliefs, I am a very spiritual person and very intune with my environment and the world we live in, I believe in things we can't even see like unseen forces, good and bad, yet I believe in angels and God.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 4:54 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Next life is where I believe Karmic debt is lived out.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I believe (if there is Karma) it is more likely to be paid out in the afterlife.

Like i said before on a previous question, it does not make any sense to me that one would be a victim of bad Karma because of something they did in an afterlife, something that is no longer relevant to their current learning situation.
    That's like catching your child eating a cookie right before breakfast but not putting him in timeout until after nap time. It just doesn't make sense.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:22 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I dreamt once of a place where I had a million Excel spreadsheets, each titled with a binary number. On each spreadsheet, I had to list chronologically all my misdeeds of that category and submit them for review. If I was wrong - anything out of order or miscategorized, I had to correct it. I could not take notes, nor did I have pencil and paper to track which actions went to which code. And only after getting all the information correct could I move to the Afterlife.

Not to sound glib, but if there is a Hell, surely that must come close. Eternity in a windowless, musicless, dingy room, alone until you complete an impossible task....

As for reincarnation, I do believe in some sense that our life actions affect our next incarnation - both positively and negatively.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:29 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I don't believe that karmic debt is paid in the afterlife, unless you count being incarnated as a non-physical being as the afterlife. I think that our collective lifetimes have to balance out, that is you must, eventually, help as much as you harm. I am not sure our cycles of reincarnation ever end, but if they do, you must first have achieved balance.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:27 PM on Sep. 29, 2009