Why is she Threatening ME?

My 17 year old daughter keeps bringing up how long until she turns 18 and that she is moving out! She actually counts down the days why is that and what do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I moved out as soon as I could. Actually, it was the beginning of a friendship between my mom and I because the main reason was my dad and the way my mom treated him and us (we all had to cater and tiptoe around him). Also, I wanted a change. I moved a couple hours away closer to my boyfriend. My mom started talking on the phone with me more and she would visit and we'd have a blast.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• She wants to spread her wings and fly. That's what they are supposed to do. Now you have to learn to let go and let her fly.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 11:44 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• This is what teens that age do. I would tell her that if she wants to go out on her own when she turns 18 you support her. Offer to teach her things that will be important such as budgeting, resume writing, cooking and whatever else you can think of.
    AKEllen

Answer by AKEllen at 11:46 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• I liked AKELlen's answer-- help your teen find what she would like to do with her life. I never thought college for me was an option and didn't make plans to go.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• ahhh freedom. just try to be there for her and help her out with finding a career/going to college/whatever is going on with her. sit back and relax and hope you've raised her to do the right things.
    jamie8506

Answer by jamie8506 at 12:16 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I couldn't wait to fly the coop. I went to college but guess where I live now? Next door to my parents. Let her go and be supportive. If you fight her on it, it will only tear you apart.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 8:18 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• i left when I was 16 years old. I need space and time to find my self. Me and my mom are alot closer now. We now understand each other. let her face life and help her. she will always come back home. WE ALL DO!
    mommy-in-pink

Answer by mommy-in-pink at 2:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Hi,
    Been there and done that with my two oldest and they multipled and brought more home. Start her a hope chest for her apartment get with it and bring her home a set of spoons from ross tell her"look I got these for you for when you get your own apartment" less is more on this subject.
    Michelle
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 6:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• WELL MY DAUGHTER DOES THE SAME THING.. SHE IS ALMOST 17.. I TEL HER I AM EXCITED FOR HER TOO.. AND CANT WAIT TO FIX UP THE HOUSE WHEN SHE LEAVES.. AND HOW ITS GONNA FEEL SO GOOD FOR HER WHEN SHE CASHES HER CHECK AND GOES SHOPPING FOR HER NEW HOUSE AND MAKIN THOSE PAYMENTS EVERY MONTH .. EVERY MONTH.. FOR THE REST OF HER LIFE.. ITS FUN!
    MAMIMARIE760

Answer by MAMIMARIE760 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• It's normal! Trust me, I'm 20 so I just did this 2 and 3 years ago. I had problems with my mom but I really just wanted to get out and do whatever I wanted without having to be home at a certain time and things like that.
    lilmel1694

Answer by lilmel1694 at 11:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2008