Does corn syrup help a constipated infant?

My mother-in-law swears by it, but unlike her I chose to breastfeed. My husband made the mistake of mentioning our son hadn't had a BM in 4 days and the rest of her visit she said "stop making him suffer and get some 'caro' syrup"(I assume that's another name for it??) I decided not to, and don't plan to in the future, I just wanted to know if there was any truth behind it.

1st_time_mom23

Asked by 1st_time_mom23 at 4:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No no no.

Breastfed babies can go MANY days without a poop. The record I've seen is 20 days!

Breastmilk is easily digested and leaves very little waste. As long as baby isn't straining, there's no constipation.

Karo is a botulism risk. Yeah, it CAN clear up constipation. Doctors used to recommend cigarettes for stress relief too. Both of these bits of medical advice go into the dustbin of history.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:53 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I don't know about using corn syrup it seems to me an infant's stomach wouldn't be able to handle it, cause it's thick you know, but apple or peat juice helps.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 4:55 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• *pear*
    MommaRox4683

• 1. EBF babies over a few weeks old can safely go up to about 10 days without a bowel movement, as long as the bowel movement is not dry, hard, or pellet like.

2. As it has been stated, officially on Karo's website, it is NOT intended for infants. It carries a slight risk for carrying botulism spores, the same reason you shouldn't give honey to infants.

3. He's probably NOT suffering.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Forgot to ask, how old is your baby, and is he EBF? Or does he receive any solids, juices, anything other then your milk?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• NO, Most peds try everything else before that - babies normally go through spurts where they don't have a BM. Could have been something you ate or a growth spurt. You don't need to do anything if your babies isn't struggling. My son still has BM issues where he can't go and he had this since birth and the ped told me they need to learn how to push them out and if you use karo syrup or any type of stimulant at too young of an age, they don't learn how to stool
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• don't give ANYTHING! Breastfed AND formula fed babies can go DAYS without pooping...straining isn't a sign of it either....karo syrup runs a HUGE risk of botulism, so dont' give that....make SURE from your pedi that baby is constipated before you give anything...it can dehydrate them if you give them something to make them poop and they don't need it.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:05 PM on Sep. 28, 2009