What kind of dog do you have? Pros/Cons?

We are getting a dog next year and I need help choosing a dog that will be good with our 3 year old/

BlessednHappy

Asked by BlessednHappy at 4:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Pets

• We have a goldadore. She is golden retriever lab mix. She looks like a beautiful white golden retriever and weighs 50 pounds.

I have a 12 month old grandson and he can do anything to her. He likes sitting on her when she is laying on the couch. She is a very calm dog and would never knock him over.

I would recommend getting a dog that is around a year that is potty trained, knows basic commands, and has lived in a foster home with kids. People that have fostered usually know a lot about dogs and you will know what you are getting. Lab mixes are usually great family dogs.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I have a red nosed pit bull, she is the calmest, and sweetest thing, she never bites, she sits, lays, stays, speaks and gives you a high five. I know Pit bulls have been given a bad name but it is not the breed, it is the people who train their dogs to be mean, you can train any animal to be mean. Some animals are born aggressive, and those are the ones to watch as puppies, excessive biting, not listening. If you show love you get love in return!!!!!
    got2boys

Answer by got2boys at 7:16 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• got2boys, we had an animal catcher come to our house one time to pick up a dog that was running wild with no tag. If he had a tag I would have called his owner. He was a pit bull. Very friendly. The dog catcher said the same thing you did. That pit bulls get a bad reputation, but it's their training that makes them mean.

We have a german shepherd. She's just a little over a year old. She's very sweet, very loving and playful. A good guard dog too. Our children love her!
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 8:03 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Beagles love all children..and grown ups. They are so sweet. But they need lots of area to run around and get exercise. They have so much energy. They just don't ever get crabby or snapish. I have never seen a Beagle who isn't a loving pet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I have a boxer pit mix she is the best dog i have ever had. great with my kids. and a lab pit mix great with the kids but is a little over protective.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I have a Pekepoo... she is very intelligent and sweet, a real people pleaser. Her only con is her long hair that we shave once a summer. It does not shed even a bit... but she tends to get dirty faster than any other dog. I got her when my youngest was 3 and they've always been best buddies.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 5:41 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• We have a lab/chow mix. he is the best mannered dog ever! He is so sweet and loveable, def. has the lab personality. He will let you know if he doesn't like you *its mostly men he doesnt know* but he's never even snapped at someone. he's wonderful with children. he will just roll and play with them for hours.
    Cons- he was VERY hyper as a puppy, it took a LOT of play/walk/run time to get him calm during the day. He has knee/hip problems and dry skin. He has aged really fast. Hes only 7 and his entire muzzle is competely gray already.
    We'ev always had the best luck with mutts.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 7:38 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• What you should do is search around online for different breeds. Find the dog that best suits YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. Any one here can say their dog is the best and is great around kids. BUT that is THEIR dog. Not all dogs of the same breed will be the same. Labs are widely known to be great around kids but there have been many reports of Lab bites. It is the individual dog you need to look at.

Go ahead and search breeds but keep in mind not all are the same. There are some online quizzes you can do. Also when you do decide to get a dog go to your local shelters,

We found our dog on petfinder.com We were looking for a dog that was good around cats and kids. We read the description of our dog and he has passed with flying colors a temperament test.

RaeLynn1221

Answer by RaeLynn1221 at 8:04 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• cont.

I like shelters because as long as they are a good one and know the animals in their care then you know they will be honest with you. As opposed to someone from craigslist, newspaper or a back yard breeder who is just in it for the money or trying to get rid of a problem dog.

Shelters do not want to see the pets homeless again. dog breed quiz 1, quiz 2.

RaeLynn1221

Answer by RaeLynn1221 at 8:05 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Labradors are excellent with children. You need to take inconsideration too that puppies are like toddlers. It takes 2-3 years for a puppy to calm down. You may want to consider a homeless dog from a local shelter.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:39 AM on Sep. 29, 2009