Would it bother you if your neighbor let your cat in to their house?

Some new neighbors moved in a few months ago. They're our age, and pretty nice, what little I've spoken to them. We have pretty opposite schedules and don't see them much. They have an outside cat who gets along with my outside cat about 50% of the time. They fight, but not too bad.

Anyway, today the cat came over and was meowing at my door. I thought it was my cat, so I opened the door and he came in & started to look around. I think he was looking for my cat. I made sure he didn't eat anything (my cats eat special urinary tract health food or else the older one gets sick and pees all over), and showed him the litter box just in case. When he went back to the front door, I opened it and he left. Would that bother you? I thought about if it were the other way around and I think I'd be OK with it as long as they didn't feed him.

heydooney

Asked by heydooney at 4:47 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Pets

• yep...itd be fine with me...one of my cats has a "route" he follows during the day...door to door usually just to say hi.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 4:50 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I don't know is a cat is not like if ou let somebody's kid into your house.

I love my cats but I keep them indoors so I am in control of what goes on with them. When you let your cats out anything can happen i sjust a risk you take.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 4:50 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Nope wouldn't bother me one bit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• No, it would be fine with me. For the kitty with the urinary problem, you may want to keep him inside all the time. There's no guarantee that he isn't eating other stuff or even other cat food as he wanders. It is safer, too.

Answer by Bmat at 4:58 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Bmat, thanks! He is our inside cat. Luckily he's afraid of the outside. Once my husband was working on the basement door to outside and Tiger got out, probably just to look around and come back in but hubby didn't notice and shut the door. Poor guy spent the whole night outside and I found him the next day meowing pitifully in our bushes. That's probably as far away as he got, lol.
    heydooney

Answer by heydooney at 5:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• It wouldn't bother me.

There were two cute Taco Bell dogs with collar and tags that ran loose on our street at different times of day. We have recently moved in and have 2 dogs and 3 cats. Our dogs and cats are indoor pets or stay in our fenced yard. Sometimes they go in the side or front area with us but don't leave the yard.

The Taco Bell dogs wouldn't come to me at first. They got friendlier and then one started climbing under our fence and coming in the side door and in the house. I found out his address from his tag. Then we stopped seeing them and got worried. Did they get picked up by the dog catcher? Did they get hit?

Then we saw them one day. The owners must be keeping them in. I'm happy and sad. They are safer but I miss the little Taco Bell dogs.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:18 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Yes! It would bother me. The cat belongs to me and it's home is my house. I would not want it to go into someone elses home because they may start thinking of it as their cat.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:45 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• yes it would bother we. my cat, belongs in my house, not anyone elses. ya they go outside to wonder, but to bring it in another persons house, no.
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:34 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I wouldn't bother me too much unless they tried to keep it in their house. I had that happen once. When he finally got away he came home and never went to that house again. I had a neighbor's cat come in my house one evening (I had to door open) and he came in, grabbed a piece of roast beef wrapped in foil that I had sitting on top of the (cold) stove to thaw out, and ran off with it, foil and all clenched in his mouth! I thought it was kind of funny and called the neighbor he belonged to and told her!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• We used to have cats that would spend a great deal of time at the neighbor's house, she was an older lady and she loved cats(little figurines everywhere)but i don't think she could have them because of her husband(even though they spent a lot of time in her house) If we couldn't find them, we just went next door and found them...so along this philosophy, when I had my own apartment and my own cats, I let them outside once in a while otherwise they would sneak out without me knowing.....the big lug head got stolen and we never found him! =( I think someone found him just as nice as we did and took him home.........I would ask your neighbors if it is alright, and not worry too much, since you know the cat is not yours but want to be friends just the same....
    littlestchef

Answer by littlestchef at 1:50 PM on Sep. 29, 2009