My Husband wants to join the Military.....

So my Husband has wanted to join the military for awhile now. He is finally serious and talking with a Recruiter tonight. I'm a SAHM of 3 and he makes good money but really wants to help out his fellow soldiers and get a better education in the process. I am scarred to death for him to go in seeing as how we're at War but really want to be a supportive Wife. My Husband has supported every decision I have ever made including becoming a SAHM, I feel like I need to be there for him. He is amazing in every way I know he thinks this will better us in the long run. So my question is how many of you have Husbands that have joined and what's your life like?? What are the pros and cons? Thanks in advance!

mommymine3

Asked by mommymine3 at 4:50 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• Military life is HARD on families. Your a stay at home mom now, when hes at work, but what about when hes in the field or overseas...or off at basic...theres rarely contact if any..however...with 3 dependents the income will be alright....great family benefits, and wonderful chances to travel. Army life can be cool for some families..we almost did it but decided its not going to be the life for us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:55 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• What is he thinking! He has a good job and he wants to join the military. He wants to help his fellow soldiers - where is he getting this from.

I was married to an naval reserve officer. He did intelligence photography and had high security clearance. I had to have background checks ect. before he could marry me. He was gone one weekend a month and almost went to the first guld war. I HATED it.

If he wants to help people there are lots of other ways to do it without hurting his family. If he wants to go to college there are grants.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:00 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I forgot to add that he wants to join the Air Force and wants to go into the medical field.
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 5:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I think it is great there is nothing wrong with him feeling a call to serve his nation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• wow my husband has been active duty Air Force for close to 17 years. At the start money will be tight! Until they either get rank or are an officer money in the begining will be tight. And the military is not for everybody. It is what it is. If you have any question please feel free to PM me.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• He's looking at a hard row to hoe. Unless he's an officer, money will be VERY tight. Also, expect issues with military housing because the higher ranks and senior people get first pick. There may be wait lists.

Unless you're very independant, you're going to find it hard. There's a lot of hurdles on the family end and unless you luck into a military wife who takes you under your wing, you're pretty much on your own to navigate all the paperwork and such yourself. Things like trying to get dental care on base will mean you'll need backbone.

Not to mention the emotional strain on you as a family.

I don't envy military wives. In most ways, their job is every bit as hard as their husbands. You may want to consider looking at this website: http://www.airforcewives.com/. It's a support site for wives of Air Force Members.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 11:53 AM on Sep. 29, 2009