I have run out of food to feed my kids...what can I make with this?

I have 2 bratwurst sausages, a bag of potatoes and a few cans of assorted vegetables. I think I can put a soup together that will last until I get paid Friday, any recipe ideas?

Please no bashing, I am doing the best I can for my kids with no assistance from anyone, including the government.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Food & Drink

• well me to.. i say throw it all in a crockpot and do stew.. or if you could put them sausages in mac and cheeze kids love that..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 5:09 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• been there done that. Make it into a sheppards pie! we always used our left over mashed potatoes with some leftover meat, veggies and any "cream of" soup. mix togther in a cassorle dish then top it with Mashed potatoes (if you got some cheese throw it on top)

for you cook your brauts so they arent greasy, chop em up and mix with veggies and something creamy ( gravy, cream of anysoup, alfredo) and top it with mashed pototatoes! yummy, cheap, easy for using up whatever is in the house and my kiddos love it with whatever i have!!!
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 5:12 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• i agree with the stew...send a msg if you need someone to talk to. I wont judge, you must be going thru alot and i could be a friend..im only on during the day.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:14 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Throw it all in the crock pot with some spices and look forward to better days- good luck!!!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 5:14 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• yum just saw roxyanns idea..we are having shepherds pie this week! kids will eat veggies with mashed potatoes on them...i would drain the cans of veggies first.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• OP

Can't help with the recipe your asking but please looking into this for your kids. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I've been where you are countless times, so I don't have the right to bash. I love the idea of making a soup in the crockpot! I might do the same for tomorrow night! We use Angelfood Ministries and it's great! You get alot for the money.
    Blessings
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 5:50 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Also call your local churches.My church is large and we have a variety of outreach food services.These aren't just for members, actually we are in a wealthy part of town so it is seldom members.We provide,food,sometimes a bit of money to help keep utilities on, a type of food only store card and easiest in Plexiglas containers around the lobby sacks that have canned protein, crackers,canned fruit and boxes of milk.We are encouraged to take them to hand to people that live on the street but if you are hungry take as many as you need.No one judges.we are supposed to help others.Just ask and someday when you are on your feet and doing well you can help out.Call the churches !

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• here is a wonderful recipe from my father

you could alter it to your needs but just slice up 2 keilbasa sausages, and chop as many potatoes as wanted. chop 1 full onion, add together into a pot of water, and boil until potatoes are soft. Add salt and pepper as needed to your tastes.
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 7:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• If you are struggling there is nothing wrong with getting help for food temporarily. There is nothing to be ashamed of if you need the help. There are many people struggling in this economy. Take the help so you don't have to worry about feeding your children. I am not bashing because I was like you were and finally went to the PA office to get food stamps. It is an enormous help to me and my son. I don't have to decide between food and the electric bill.

If you have onions and green peppers, cut the sausage in coins, and saute with olive oil, cut up potaotes and green peppers until the veggies are done to your liking. Mac and cheese and kielbasa is good too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:20 PM on Sep. 28, 2009