At how many months do you start to feed your baby?

I live with my babies father and his mother. Well she is trying 2 control everything with my baby and I cant make the choices for him. Its really getting to me and she wont listen to me for nothing and I have said someting so many times. So now I want to prove her I am right. I wanted to start feeding MY baby once he was 4months and I didnt find any reason in feeding him early bc he does not eat alot he eats about 4ounces every 3hours and he dont even eat all of that sometimes he will eat 6.. And the other day his grandma and father went behind my back and fed him 3 weeks early and since they already done it i figured I had no choice so we did it eveny night and now she is wanting to give him it to him twice a day and she is trying to tell me the doc said its ok to give it to him and he just turned 4 months yesterday and I was at the doc and she said dont start feeding him untill 4 to 6 months.. And plus its getting hard to po

JenniG89

Asked by JenniG89 at 5:09 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Take your MIL to the dr. with you have her listen to what the dr. has to say. what was good when SHE had kids, generaly isn't what dr.s are recommending now days. With my two, they were BF then at 6 months for dd I started with solids, and ds was 5 1/2 months. Some don't even like solids till later than that! Each baby is different, and you have to get that MIL of yours to back off, that would drive me nuts!
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 5:15 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• he's your baby..dont let her feed your child anything you dont want him to have. but in all honesty you live with her in her house..id consider moving out so you can control everything.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 5:22 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Babies were supposed to start solids at 4-6 months in the 1980's. It hasn't changed. For a breastfed baby waiting until 6 months or later is fine since human milk is the best nutrition possible.

You can stop feeding him solids.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I'd be pissed. Tell her that she needs to follow your instructions regarding your child. It's YOUR child. You call the shots. I'd suggest not introducing solids until at least 6 mos. Even if he's had them, you CAN stop and hold off if you want to.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:46 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• The smartass answer is that you feed them when they're born...formula and breastmilk ARE food and are the MAIN foods till baby is one.

Time to take charge. If they can't be trusted, then no leaving the baby with them. Find another caregiver if it's a work situation.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:11 PM on Sep. 28, 2009