IN Texas, new booster seat law-question

I drive a truck with a rear bench seat. My question is can I put a booster seat in the front passenger side if the air bag is turned off? Thanks, can't find any info about it at the government site.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• You should put the booster on your back bench seat.

I know that before the new laws (I live in TX too), that it was legal to even place carseats in the front if you turned off the air bag, but our newest laws are very strict. If you have a truck with NO back seat at all, then of course you can place the booster in the front, but if you have a backseat at all, then in TX all children 12 years and under are required to ride in the back seat.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:58 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I would never put a small child in the front seat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Now that we have established your anonymous opinion, can we try to actually say something helpful?

I live in Texas, but my child is still too young for a booster seat so I am not sure. How old/tall is your child? I will do some research and post it if I find anything.

While I do agree that the back seat is the best place in most cases, the first poster is obviously not familiar with bench seats.
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 5:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I have two car seats in the back. My son usually sits in the back, but the booster is a very, very tight squeeze, so I was just wondering.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• you should be ok to put the booster in the back....they don't recommend children under the age of 13 being in the front seat......how big of a truck do you have??.....if it's a smaller one like a dakota sport....then it might be more of an issue....if you can't find any info online call your local pd and see what they say.....trucks are good until you start dealing with car seats!....lol
    bigblueeyes

Answer by bigblueeyes at 5:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Also, our new laws recommend keeping kids in a 5 point harness until 6 years old and then using a booster. If your child is under 6 years old, he is supposed to still be in a carseat and not yet a booster.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Alright, I will figure out how to get them all back there. Thank you guys.
    He is over 6, so I plan on sticking with the booster.

: )
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2009