For those of you who have used Soy Formula

My dd just started Soy formula (She may be lactose intolerant) and was wondering what your experience with Soy was. I also have a few questions:
~Reason for using Soy
~What brand did you use
~How did your LO react to it
~Any positives about it
~Any negatives about it

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 5:41 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ~Reason for using Soy -- THREW UP EVERY OTHER FORMULA ... REFLUX ... GAS
    ~What brand did you use -- GOOD START
    ~How did your LO react to it - GREAT!!
    ~Any positives about it -- HASNT SPIT UP SINCE! GAS ISNT LIKE IT WAS , NO MORE REFLUX
    ~Any negatives about it -- NONE
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 5:42 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My son used Soy because he had constipation issues and they thought he'd tolerate that better -
    we found out at 12 months and milk trial that he does have intolerance issues
    he cried so much either way we aren't sure yet what's going on with him so he didn't react to much
    different until we stopped formula all together.
    I used Similac sensitive soy
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:44 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• my 6 week old is on similac isomil soy. it was 1st given to her in the hosp because they felt she could not tolerate the cows milk, I mainly breastfed but i stoped as of 2 weeks ago, I did some reseach on soy and it said not to give to ur baby unless there is a true allergy to cows milk so I spoke with the Dr , she switched my baby to cows milk and said if there is a true intolerance she will have blood in the stool , diarriea...etc there was non of that. But it was to watery for her. The soy is thicker and my baby likes it better it fills here up better then the cows milk. the negative is that it stinks and stains bibs and clothes worse than milk so make sure u buy a stain fighter such as Dreft thats what I do. Good luck!!
    Mrs2009

Answer by Mrs2009 at 5:52 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• oh yeah , less gas and fussiness w/ soy
    Mrs2009

Answer by Mrs2009 at 5:54 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• ~Reason for using Soy: Both of my kids would have horrible stomach pain when they were on the milk formula. We tried soy as an alternative & had better results.

~What brand did you use: Similac for kid#1 & Parent's Choice for kid#2--the Parent's Choice was recommended by another mom in the store & we compared it & didn't see any difference.

~How did your LO react to it: Both kids seemed to handle the soy much better than the milk.

~Any negatives about it: You won't be dealing with, but after my son was a year old, I learned some things about soy & boys. I had him on soy milk by then & cut him off. Better safe than sorry.

FYI, my daughter switched to regular milk on her 1st birthday & didn't have any trouble. My son was about 3 before his stomach could handle regular milk, but both outgrew their lactose intolerance. 

Mary0791

Answer by Mary0791 at 6:10 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• ~Reason for using Soy...he spit up like CRAZY...I'm talking like projectile, spitting up pretty much the whole bottle right after he drank it. we later found out when he was 2 that he was Lactose Intolerant.

~What brand did you use...Similac Isomil Advance

~How did your LO react to it...soooooo good!!!!

~Any positives about it...made him feel sooo much better!!! didn't spit up nearly as much!!!

~Any negatives about it...smelled worse than regular formula lol
    sarahbell811

Answer by sarahbell811 at 6:19 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• ~Reason for using Soy: My daughter is very lactose intolorent just like me

~What brand did you use" Good Start SoyPlus but can not find it in stores anymore so we switched to Similac Isomil

~How did your LO react to it: (we switched at 6 weeks) I had a different baby after 2 bottles. No more endless crying in pain, no more gas that smelled like rotten eggs. She started cooing after 2 bottles, she had never done that. It was amazing.

~Any positives about it: It no longer hurts my daughter to eat.

~Any negatives about it: I was hoping to breastfeed but was unable to so I had to use formula.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I just want to let you know soy is very controversial esp baby formula bc it hasn't necessarily been tested...if you search the interent you will find some good information ...I just read the book the unhealthy truth and that is where I learned about it. I personally do not know what you would use in place of soy formula though....I have given my dd soy milk in the past a few times and her poop absolutely stunk!!
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 10:55 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My 2 older buys used soy formula, it helped with colic, and it is more gentle on the stomach. My boys are all bright, healthy, and VERY boyish (forget the rumors soy makes boys gay, whatever), so I think if you use it for the first year it is better than having your baby suffer with gas or colic or lactose intolerance!!
    QueenTo4Kings

Answer by QueenTo4Kings at 8:54 PM on Feb. 26, 2010