Have you ever picked up your child from daycare and.....

their teacher said "_____ was not good at all today they didn't listen" how did you react or what did you say to your child in the class room

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:56 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I had this issue with a provider for a while. I finally stopped her one day and asked her to tell me one positive thing he said or did before she tells me what went wrong. She couldn't. I asked her if he was THAT terrible all day to the point the re was NOTHING redeeming about it why didn't they call me at work? She had no answer. From that day on I ALWAYS got the positive first. I know my son is a handful but he isn't a monster and totally out of control.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• ugh....ok i used to work a daycare. i tried soooo hard not to do the so and so acted up today. unless its totally out of character or they havent quit for two weeks or gonna hurt someone, i didnt say a lot. if its simple just pushing limits kids stuff it would drive me crazy other teachers laying out every time a kid talks out of turn. i hope that they also told you some good things that happened that day. i would just suggest asking your child to apologize to the teacher for misbehaving (bc they most likely already got in trouble). and unless they did something really bad, then leave it at that and if the behavior continues at home obviously correct it. only other thing is maybe a talk about listening while at school. If the teacher just continues to complain about your child, i'd request a conference with teacher and director, and see what needs worked out. if its the teachers prob, the director will notice. GL!!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 6:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• oh sure! lots of times!! lol when its being brought to my attention, i take dh aside and ask him about it, in the presence of the teacher. i let him tell me what happened (he always does!), and ask him why/what/who about whatever the situation was. i tell him we'll talk more about it at home..i don't make a big deal about it at school-don't want to embarrass him in front of the kids. if he's misbehaved/fought with another child, i ask him why he did whatever, what happened, and is he going to like being in timeout again. he doesn't like it, so its usually a memory that works for the next time. he's not a bad kid--he's just a boy, and like all kids, he has to learn what is appropriate and what isn't. he also knows that the teacher is the boss, but that we expect him to care about others, too, and what his ill-actions might do to the other kid(s). sometimes they just don't want to work, you know? kids have moodswings, too!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 6:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I have not heard it before, but I am a preschool teacher and we are encouraged to keep the parents "in the loop" so they can discuss situations with their child before they become big issues. The way I handle situations as yours is to talk to the parents by them selves and tell them briefly about what happened and let them know there is a detailed note in their child's daily folder. Than I call the child up and tell them even though they had a hard day, that I still care about them and than we discuss what we can do to make the situation better. Good luck to you, just keep in mind even the best little ones have a hard day at school sometimes !
    howella

Answer by howella at 9:25 PM on Sep. 28, 2009