Colors? Shapes? Teaching the basics

How do I teach my two year old what colors are, what they're called, etc?

BisketLiss

Asked by BisketLiss at 6:02 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What i've found works best with my dd is just doing it with her everyday life...we haven't started to sit down yet to learn things. I just incorporate it into everything we do. ...Colors was the last thing for my dd to learn...it took her MONTHS!!!!! So be patient : ) xoxo

MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 11:01 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Repetition.. You can buy books or toys that have shapes and colors, that seems to really help. My 16 month old is doing really good learning shapes because we read her books about shapes that are interesting to her. (Elmo books, she LOVES Elmo)... You could try that. Or if you just talk to him about just things, house hold things, things from outside, just incorporate it in your everday converstations with him. If you see a red car, tell him, "Look, honey, it is a red car." We do a lot of this while grocery shopping, it helps keep her occupied. If I pick up a box I tell her, "It is a square box." etc.
    Good luck!
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 6:10 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Use colors and shapes for everything when you talk to him/her. See that car? it's blue, the tires are circles, they go round and round. Want to look out the window? It's a rectangle. See The green leaves on the tree? The bark is brown...
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:21 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Kids learn their colors from regular conversation.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• We get out the color crayons and I say lets color this red! Or lets color this blue. We also got elmo paints for the bath that were blue, red and yellow. She has to tell me what color she wants and then we mix colors to get green, purple, orange... etc! For shapes, I got a few different shape puzzles to get her started. After she was able to put the shapes where they go I started pointing out squares, rectangles, hearts, cirlcles and she caught on very quick! We do these same techniques with #'s and letters. While she is learning and confuses #'s, letters and shapes... she knows them the majority of the time! Just keep talking to her and she will catch on VERY VERY quickly!!! :)
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• ok my dd is 30mts she know her abc, colors,shapes and numbers 1-20. i used the fisherprice website alot. also pbs kids ,org. i googled and got cute printouts for her colors and shapes. she also learn thru coloring and by me showingher stuff aroung the house and telling her this is an apple the apple is red. anotehr way she learn is i found this website forgot what its called but it has a cute ice cream printput each scoop is a different color and hse learn her colors taht way too. for shapes i also found oput printouts she can color and anotehr ine that is like index cards she know all shapes by memory. icluding hard ones like pyranid,sphere,cylinder and pentagon. let me know if you wnat any help.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:41 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Through play. When you encounter colors, shapes, etc. talk about them. She'll catch on when she's ready.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 9:51 PM on Sep. 28, 2009