My husband needs to lose weight to join the AF? Have you ever needed to lose weight like this? Please help, he is really worried he wont be able to get down to the right weight before he is to old to join

My husband needs to lose alot of weight. He wants to join the airforce and for his height he needs to be at a maximum of 180 pounds well he is close to 240. Thats 60 pounds over the maximum. He is dieting and exercising but he is not really loosing the weight. He only has 2 more years left to join. I know that seems like a lot but its really not when you think about the amount of weight and the amount of time. Any advise on what I can do for him? He started dieting and so far has lost 7 pounds but I know he is frustrated that he allowed himself to get that big knowing he wanted to join the air force.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Health

• He needs to exercise, the military requires a pt test, so he could just start doing all the required pt that the military requires. Not only will he be making basic easier for himself later, but he will be in shape. He needs to do good cardio, like running, biking, anything to get his heart going for a decent amount of time every day in order to loose the weight. Make sure he is eating healthy, good calories and keep encouraging him, Im sure once he starts some good exercise he will loose the weight faster than he expected
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 6:33 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I'll tell you what an AF recruiter told my son: Go completely vegetarian. Eat no meat, no processed foods, VERY easy on the starches, eat NOTHING that did not grow on a plant. Eat every 3 hours, and eat only what you can fit in a coffee mug. Drink a LOT of water, no sodas or juices. For exercising, do running and cardio but absolutely no weights. My son dropped 17 lbs. in the first two weeks and is still losing weight.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• That is such  bs, michiganmom116. He needs protein so "no meat" is out. Fish is best. Colorful veggies and fruit are vital to good health. I agree with no soda, coffee or juices. Weight training is important bc muscles burn up fat and cardio is for CARDIO NOT WEIGHT LOSS. People who lose weight without building muscle mass is pulling weight from muscle as well as fat, which isn't healthy. Eating more but smaller meals is a good idea. Tell him to eat items low on the glycemic index and drink lots of water.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:48 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• btw, I lost 50 lbs with the advice I just posted above

Answer by admckenzie at 6:49 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• A true vegetarian diet gets protein from plant sources like dried beans or lentils and quinoa. Meat isn't the only source of protein.

Weight training builds muscle mass and muscles weigh more. If the man is running he's keeping things toned without adding more weight. All he's got to do is meet the weight requirements to get into the AF. Once he's in they'll implement MORE cardio and add weight training, along with feeding him a diet complete with meat protein.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:04 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• "That is such bs, michiganmom116. He needs protein so "no meat" is out. Fish is best. Colorful veggies and fruit are vital to good health. I agree with no soda, coffee or juices. Weight training is important bc muscles burn up fat and cardio is for CARDIO NOT WEIGHT LOSS. People who lose weight without building muscle mass is pulling weight from muscle as well as fat, which isn't healthy. Eating more but smaller meals is a good idea. Tell him to eat items low on the glycemic index and drink lots of water."

Where did you get the idea that humans need meat for health? It is simply not true. While vegetarian is not equal to healthy, vegetarians are more likely to be healthy than meat eaters. There are awesome plant based sources of protein (that also have fiber, which meat does not), like lentils, beans, quinoa, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:16 PM on Sep. 28, 2009