what would you do or say

I babysit a 2 year old his mom is a school teacher and his dad works 4 days a week i have the child 5 days a week for 9 to 9 and a half hours a day she only pays me $75 a week for the past week and a half she has been 45 mins "late" from the time she has always been she tells me thing like oh i went grocery shopping or we went out to eat with her other kids i just don't think it is right for her not to call me and say she is going to be late (i have to have him right ready to go b/c if i have him at the table playing with crayons or playdoh he will throw it on floor when she gets here and pitch a fit one time i just had them on the floor looking at books and he ripped it b/c he knew i wouldn't get on to him for doing it in front of her she said she don't like to tell him NO and don't discipline him) so how should i tell her she needs to call if she is going to do something and not be on time also is 75 a week the going rate?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Set some regular hours and explain that during these hours, you will charge $$$. any hours after that is $5 for every extra 30 minutes
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:13 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• 75$ for 9-9 1/2 hours a day?! You're cheating yourself! According to my friends who watch children professionally, one charges 3$ an hour and one charges 5. Even if you don't charge while the kids asleep (IF he still takes naps) If I were you I'd charge her 125$ a week, especially if she's a teacher!
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 6:21 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• i would tell her if she is going to be late then she needs to call, in addition to that it is $5 for every 15 minutes that she is late. As far as telling him no tell her that you have to have a way to keep him from misbehaving. if she keeps it up tell her she has two weeks to find a new babysitter.

CIHsmom

Answer by CIHsmom at 7:20 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• So you're dealing with all of this for LESS than $1.25 per hour? (based on a 60 hour week)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• You are absolutely not charging enough. I used to be a nanny and for one family I made $80 a day and from another family I worked for I just got a flat $450 per week. I live in the north east so cost of living is higher than in other parts of the country, but you are still not charging nearly enough.

Tell her that she is getting a great deal on her child care and that if she is going to be late it will be an extra $10 every 15 minutes she is late or something like that.

PS NO DISCIPLINE!!!! What a nightmare! - I've worked in that scenario too...
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:56 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• You definitely need to charge far more. I'd love to find daycare that cheap. The best I could find was $125 week, and that was for 8 hr. days at a daycare facility. I hate every minute I can't spend with my little one...I can't imagine taking more time away from him. She can do her grocery shopping with him.
    agnixon

Answer by agnixon at 9:47 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I would write her a letter and in said letter inform her that you'll be raising your weekly rate and remind her to call if she's going to be late.

They did a study once on this very thing and a letter from the daycare provider was much more effective than simply implementing a late fee. Why? Because if you just add the fee, people will just pay whereas if you write them to remind them to be on time, it taps into their sense of moral obligation.

Let us know how it turns out!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 9:49 PM on Sep. 28, 2009