me=FF/sister=BF. Her milk + my baby?

OK, so I BF for the first month and then started FF b/c I had surgery. My sister lives in TN and had her baby 5 weeks after I had mine. She says she's producing too much milk which is true b/c she's been giving the extra to her 1 yr old to help him sleep at night. So she's coming to MA this weekend and has offered to let me bring home bottles of pumped breast milk for my little one to eat when I go to visit her. What I'm asking though is if this is weird? Or is it what you all would do? My other question is if this switching back to breast milk after 2 months of straight FF could mess with my son's digestive system?

TotallyWarped

Asked by TotallyWarped at 6:21 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nope won't bother him until you go back to formula...as long as you are ok with it. I'd say go ahead. There's nothing weird about it unless you think there is. i would do it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Not wierd, it's a wonderful offer. It would be great for his digestive system. It would be a great time for you to relactate.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• If thats what you want to do, I don't see anything weird about it.  If I made milk like that and my friend or whoever needed some I'd gladly give it to them.   I'm not sure if the breastmilk would mess with your babys digestive system or not though.  I'm sorry I can't help more.

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 6:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I think that it is weird for ME, but if it is fine with you, heck why not? She is going to pump the milk, right?...
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 6:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• No it's not weird! i would JUMP at the chance to have BM if i could no longer produce it myself or was advised not to BF because of the medication.

If you look at the WHO recommendations for what is the best choice to feed your baby formula is the LAST option.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:24 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• it may just a lil but then again may be no prob. this is such a personal choice for you. its safe (as long as your sis is completely healthy, which i assume she is or you wouldnt be considering). the reason it may hurt is belly would only b bc of what she may have eaten when that milk was pumped. there's actually a lot of ppl being surrogates with bf-ing these days. i almost had to do this bc i went on my honeymoon and DS about ran out of milk, and a good friend of mine was going to give us some. i would do it to keep baby eating. but again, its all you....(i must be very unhelpful lol).
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 6:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• That is great. It isn't weird and even if it was....don't worry about that. You have an opportunity to give your son some breastmilk..I would jump at it.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• If it were my sister, I would jump at it. If you are ok with it, why not? Like someone else mentioned, you may be able to relactate while he is eating your sister's BM. I know that adoptive moms even breastfeed thru induced lactation.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 6:41 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I'd go for it!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:43 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My sister inlaw always has a huge supply of breast milk. She really could feed three babies. lol
    Anyway, a friend of hers adopted two down syndrome babies from Russia. The babies had been in an orphanage and were severely malnourished. When the friend brought them home they were still struggling with their health three months later. My SIL gave all of the milk she had in her freezer to these babies. It was enough milk to last three months. As soon as the babies got the breast milk they started flourishing. Their weight came up, their alertness and general well being raised. At their next doctors appointment, which was two months after they started getting the BM the doctor was thoroughly shocked at how much progress they had made.
    Breastmilk is a wonderful thing, and if I had the opportunity you have been given I would jump on it. Good for your sister!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:58 PM on Sep. 28, 2009