Am I about to do a terrible thing?

We have a cat, she came to our house 5 years ago pregnant and we have given her shelter and vet care. My husband is crazy for the cat, but she bites everyone else, and causes our dog trauma. She will not stay indoors and has gone missing for days before. Today I discover she is sick, sneezing and such, we do not have money at the time to rack up a vet bill, my husband would spend every dollar we have plus to heal her. Would it be awful to take her to a no kill shelter and act like she disappeared? I am not a sneaky person but know that DH would not even hear of it. I personally don't even have health insurance right now, I am getting it next month, but can see where the money we had saved is headed what should I do? I love animals, but feel my well being should come first?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Pets

• I think this is really messed up, but i have been in similar situations. One thing to think aobut is if your hubby decides to go looking for the cat, and finds it, you are NEVER going to get his trust back. What DH and I have done for our animals is come to an agreement when $ gets tight about how much we can afford to spend on the cat in a given time period or for one specific illness. Our cat got a bladder infection that reveled he had diabetes. We could afford to care for the infection, but when diet control didn't help the diabetes, we put him down, he had reached the limit of what he can afford. When you take an animal into your home, you COMMIT to caring for that animal.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 7:41 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Cats... YUCK. I would just take her for drive, but that's just me. Cats and I don't get along. YES, take her to a shelter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Family comes first over pets. Period
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I think it's effed up! Not what you are doing to the cat but to your hubby. Lying and sneaking around behind his back and doing something that WILL hurt him. NOPE NOPE NOPE. Don't do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• OP HERE==The only reason I am considering it is because I KNOW that he will spend all of the money I had saved to get my insurance to fix the cat, I have never lied to him, but if I do not do this he would never agree--do you think I should just let him have his say in it and go on? I am really torn up over this
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:39 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I would say that the insurance is more important and if he can't understand that then he needs to get his priorities straight. I would tell him that under no circumstances is he allowed to use the money for the cat
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:49 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Pet Care is more affordable then human insurance, but you are one messed up lady to do that to your husband knowing how much he cares for the cat.

To educate you a little, pets give the same companion ship as a human.

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1532582/RIP_Lucky_dog

Find a good vet, you don't even know whats wrong with the cat. it could be very simple.

Disgusting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on Sep. 28, 2009