Tantrums

okay recently my 15 month started throwin these massive trantrums. throwin himself around screamin and kickin and crying when he doesnt get what he wants. how do i react when hes behavin like this?

shermi08

Asked by shermi08 at 6:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ignore him...I always make my daughter go to her room...then I ignore her...she used to do this and when I would leave the room, she would get quiet follow me and then throw herself down again, I'd leave the room and she'd follow me... I started sending her to her room and she now realizes that it does no good to do it as she still will not get her way.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:35 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• TIME OUT! And DO NOT let him get out until has has stayed in there for 1 minute. It has worked MIRACLES with our DD who is just barely 16 months old, and started just about a month ago. He is trying to assert his independance, which is fine, you should let him to a certain extent, it is fine that he wants to help, etc, but when there are things he just cannot do, you need to show him that regardless you are in charge. It sucks, though, it is very hard to go through it. Breaks my heart every time I have to put my DD back in her time out chair.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• This is what I do...or rather did..as my osn has calmed down as a result...

When my son got really upset I would just sit or stand patiently and just be present. Once he was near finished I would put my arms out and he would come running for a hug. The it was over...

I think children need to get their emotions out and although the way your son behaves isnt appropriate...he will learn that in time and the more he gets his feelings out the more he will learn how to deal with them and then he wont need to throw tantrums.

The key is to be there...unconditional love.

My son gets upset now (22 months) and he will take a moment on his own and then give me a hug and hes done.

I just think we shouldnt add more drama to it by trying to stop them. It does get better...and I feel better this way and so does my son. He is learning to cope much better with his emotions and knows that I love him no matter how he acts or feels.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:39 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• They are his feelings and that is the only way he knows how to express it right now. I dont see why anyone should be punished for that at all. He certainly means no harm but has no other way or expressing himself.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:40 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• ignore the inappropriate behavior, but offer support after he has shared his feelings with you.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 6:52 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• when my son acts out I usually ignore him. if he escalates to a cry I comfort him. either way he soon gets over it and moves on! if it's done in a public place I remove him from the scene so he can calm down in a quiet place. it's hard in walmart though especially if I have a cart with stuff. i check out and leave as soon as i can lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:57 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I agree with ignoring them. Kids that age are bright. It won't take him long to figure out that tantrum=attention if you give in.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 7:49 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Put him in time out and ignore him until he is done with his tantrum...no matter how long it takes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Make sure he's safe and ignore him. He'll soon realize that the tantrums don't get him anywhere and they'll be shorter/less frequent.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 9:40 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Agree with twinclubmom.

You got to make sure they're safe. I like to be sweet and non-responsive to tantrums, but if my girl's throwing herself down in the middle of the road, I've got to move her to the sidewalk first.

Now that she's learning more words (25 months old), I'm trying to get her to use words to express her feelings. I'll say "you feel sad?" Which is good, she's starting to scream a little less, and say "sad" a little more.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 9:51 PM on Sep. 28, 2009