How can I get my 3 yr old to start listening

My husband is disabled, and he lets our 3 yr old get by with alot, I work 10 hrs a day and when I get home, it is pure stress, can anyone help, I have tried time out, dont work taking a toy away dont work any suggesstions moms

got2boys

Asked by got2boys at 7:20 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 3 yr old ran around rampantly with time-outs so I started incorporating talk time after time outs. For example: he hit his sister. He would get sent to his bed for 5 minutes to reflect on his actions, after 5 minutes were up, I came to his bed, sat down next to him and asked "Why were you sent to your room?" He would say "Because I hit my sister." I would ask "Is this a good thing?" He said " No." I would remind him that we do not hit our sister and if there is a problem to tell a grown up if you feel like hitting. I would tell him that we're going to try again, and make him apologize to his sister and ask for forgiveness to which she had to forgive. After a month, he recognized his actions before he did them and I haven't given him a time out in months.
    midnightshadow2

Answer by midnightshadow2 at 7:27 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Oh sweetie, I am sorry, is there anyway you could take him to a pre-school a couple of days a week? My son really started to shape up when he started. What kind of disability does your DH have? Does he allow him to get away with things because he can't control him or because he won't control him? Maybe you need a couple of days off to observe the situation, I am sorry that you are going through this, but with age listening does get better, but since he is a boy don't ever expect it to be ALL fixed-- LOL.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:49 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I agree with kimigogo...putting your child in daycare may be very helpful because they learn a schedule and they have other kids to burn energy with. Sometimes it's not a matter of "what discipline can I use now" but rather, "what can I change in our lifestyle that will make things easier". Best of luck to you and my prayers are with you.
    aklebeyers

Answer by aklebeyers at 2:06 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Thank you for all your help, I do have him enrolled in daycare 3 days a week, and my mother in law watches for 2 days a week, I dont know if he is acting out, becasue for 3 months I was laid off work, and now I am back to work working 50 to 60 hrs a week. I hate the hours, but I have to work, I spend as much time with him as I can, but my disabled husband takes up alot of my time to. Maybe everything will calm down in a couple of weeks I really hope so.
    got2boys

Answer by got2boys at 10:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2009