any advice would be appreciated

my friend has a four year old son who I know is very smart. He started preschool this year and for the first 4 weeks of school he cried everyday when he went. He has quit crying but now he wont talk to anyone at school, wont write his name (i have seen him write his name) hes acting like he doesnt know anything. I told my friend that he probaly thinks he wont have to go back if he acts like he cant do anything. She is just so disappointed because he is so smart and acting like this. Anyone have any advice I can give her?

heavenlypeace

Asked by heavenlypeace at 7:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• hmmm...Just hang in there. Give it more time and stay in close contact with the teacher. He will have be going to school for a good chunk of his life. He really needs to get used to it now.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:28 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• he needs time to adjust. i am currently having the same problem with my 3 yr old ds. thats the best response ive recieved so far. keep pushing him and talk about school often.
    brikay1

Answer by brikay1 at 12:14 AM on Sep. 29, 2009

• She should not be disappointed. She isn't acting out, he is. If he stopped crying, that was step one and it happened and so will the rest of it. Tell her to keep it positive but direct. He's looking for an out and waiting for someone to give it to him. Talking to his teacher and working out strategies that are the same at school and home will help too. He'll begin to realize that mom and teacher are on the same side and he won't have much choice but to come around.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 12:56 AM on Sep. 29, 2009