I killed Santa

A friend of mine felt it was time to tell her 4yo DD that there is no santa. When the child didn't understand why, she simply told her "There is no santa because I killed santa when he broke in our house. I was just keeping you safe."

Now, i do not tell my kids Santa is real. I am very against this. I think kids sould be told the truth from day one. But, this really bothers me...

Your thoughts?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 7:26 PM on Sep. 28, 2009 in Holidays

• It was wrong...to make your kids believe that you are a killer...
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:27 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Wow. That's harsh for a 4 year old, or any kid. Why not just tell the truth? Thinking Mommy is a murderer during one of the happiest times of the year for a kid is just disturbing.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:28 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• If you are trying to come clean about Santa not being real, then why greet it with another lie? That makes no sense whatsoever. I don't really like lying to kids about it either.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• i think thst would traumatize the kid.

i dont want to do sants, but my mil is WAY into it. when i was little, santa was kinda a joke. my parents told us the stories, and the representation, and would put presents marked FROM SANTA under the tree, but we knew it was from them and that they were just being funny.

thats hwo i want to do it. im not sure how iits gonna work out.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 7:30 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I don't like lying to kids about Santa being real...I didn't want to make that sound like I told my kids that I was a killer cuz I would never do that.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:31 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Ebanezer "Scrooge!" Christmas is a wonderful and magical time of year. To rob your daughter of her childhood is selfish, cruel and mean spirited. Be careful of the Ghost Trinity they may be visiting you this year! Woooooooo
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• What an awful thing your friend did--did she ever come clean with her kiddo? I mean we have Santa in our house, and thats totally cool if you don't but to have it and then take it away from a 4 year old in that manner is just plain wrong of her. I think you need to talk to her--Who tell their kid they kill anyone, let alone SANTA? Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:38 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• omg i do have to say when i first read this question i laughed! i feel sooo bad! that poor kid! i hope this doesnt effect her later in life....
    danette624

Answer by danette624 at 7:42 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• OMG poor kid!!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:51 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• That is horrible. While we too, try to convince our youngest that Santa is not real, we'd never traumatize him like that. We keep telling him WE are Santa.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 8:43 PM on Sep. 28, 2009